We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Seattle
4 posts
Save Topic
Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

My train will be arriving in Vancouver at 11:40 a.m. on August 30, 2013. I will be attending a cousin’s wedding in Abbotsford, B.C. at 1:00 p.m. on August 31, 2013.

Ideally, I would like to stay in a Vancouver hostel on Friday night, and take a bus or a train to Abbotsford early Saturday morning in time to make the wedding. After the wedding I’d like to go to the reception, stay in an Abbotsford hotel Saturday night, then head back to Vancouver on Sunday to catch a train back to Seattle.

My understanding is that people regularly commute between Vancouver and Abbotsford during the week. But does that hold true for weekends also? Will I be able to catch a bus or a train from Vancouver to Abbotsford early Saturday morning? Or will I have to get to Abbotsford on Friday to be assured of making the wedding on Saturday?

And on Sunday, how can I travel from Abbotsford back to Vancouver in time to catch a Sunday train home to Seattle?

Thanks for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,303 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Abbotsford is outside our public transit system. Greyound goes out to Abby with about 8 buses a day. Some of their runs are Express in about an hour. Greyhound and Amtrak use the same station in Vancouver. You'll be fine if you plan on the afternoon train.

www.greyhound.ca

Once you're in Abby you will need either a cab or someone to drive you around.

Have a look at the YWCA Hotel in Van. It's conveniently close to the Skytrain station at Stadium Station which is only one stop from Main Station and Pacific Central Station. It is a popular, reliable, well located hotel downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,303 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

You'll be fine if you plan on the afternoon train.

==============

You'll be fine getting back from Abby to Vancouver on the Sunday if you plan on the afternoon train to Seattle. Just for luck, I will mention there are two trains a day, morning and afternoon. The other entries on the schedule are Amtrak coaches.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

The West Coast Express is the train that goes out to Mission, which is just across the river from Abbotsford, and I believe you can catch a local bus from there into Abbotsford. However, this is strictly a commuter service because it shares the line with cargo trains, but they do run buses along the same route to extend the service.

translink.ca/en/…WCE.aspx

The trains leave Vancouver on Friday afternoon between 3:50 and 6:20, but then there is the bus service that has departures until 8 pm. I thought they were trying to run a bus on the weekends, but I guess that's been canceled - I don't see anything about weekend service.

Once in Mission, you are on the Central Fraser Valley transit system.

http://www.transitbc.com/regions/cfv/

If you want to go out on Saturday, then you pretty much have to go with Greyhound. It looks like the Vancouver Regional Transit system links up with the Central Fraser Valley System in Aldergrove (yes, they do. Both systems have routes that terminate at Fraser Highway and 272nd), so in theory you could take the bus the entire way, but I think it would be an absolutely nightmare journey. The Translink Trip planner is showing over 2 hours just to Aldergrove.

If you want to explore that option, its the 502 bus in the translink system and it connects to the 21 bus in the CFV system.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Abby?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,303 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Yep. https://www.facebook.com/myabbynews

Google for plenty more.

Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Thank you for the helpful information.

Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Thanks for the information.

Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I think I can manage to get to and from Abbotsford with the information you've provided.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

"Abby" is a silly nickname for Abbotsford - for people who think they are saving a huge amount of time by saying only 2 syllables instead of 3. And watch out for the pronunciation - it's Abbotsf'rd, NOT Abbots-FORD (like door with a D on the end).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,303 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Round-Trip Travel from Vancouver to Abbotsford

lolol, East. Do you think I'm too lazy to say 3 syllables??

They call themselves that in many situations. They must be okay with it.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 09:24