We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

Hi guys,

We recently moved to Vancouver and are slowly making our way around BC

We are looking at going a wine tour over a weekend. So leave either Friday night or first thing Saturday morning to get to a region to do some touring, spend a night then come back to Vancouver for Sunday evening.

The Okanagan region looks like a good place to visit for wining and dining.

I have looked at getting a bus from Vancouver overnight on the Friday to be there on Saturday morning to do a tour.

Is Kelowna the place we should be heading to?

Any suggestions of anywhere else or other ideas for doing a wine tour.

We don't plan to drive as we want to be completely free a car while on our travels.

Thanks in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,645 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

Unless you do some pre-selecting of which wineries you might want to go to, you will likely need a car. But yes, Kelowna would be a logical destination because you could take a guided wine tour from there. And Greyhound coach would have a decent schedule to Kelowna. Here's a winery map of the OK region:

http://www.okanagan.com/maps/wine_map.htm

Wine tours: http://www.tourismkelowna.com/do/wine/tours/

Or you could do a winery tour by bike! www.monasheeadventuretours.com/tours.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,713 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

I know there are day tours of the Fraser Valley wineries, but if you are looking at a weekend, then the Okanagan is a logical destination.

I'm not aware of wine tours that are offered from the Lower Mainland. You might want to take your car to your accommodations in the Okanagan and then take a day tour from there. Getting to the Okanagan by bus is a chore. You might even look at flying.

Kelowna is the major centre, but if you want something more relaxed you might look at Naramata and Oliver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,713 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

Claire Newell usually has a few wine tours on her website.

www.travelbestbets.com/deals/bc-wine-tours

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

Hi

the greyhound bus stops across the street from a Holiday Inn in West Kelowna; that is the first stop before Kelowna. West Kelowna has a number of wineries with Quails Gare and Mission Hill on top of the need to visit list because of location. You need to google wine tour buses for Kelowna or West Kelowna; not familiar with the ones there. the bus stop in Kelowna is in a commercial/industrial area and not walkable to where you may want to be.

OR

you can take the bus to Penticton which stops in the middle of the downtown. Hotels close by are a short taxi ride. this is a link for info around Penticton http://pentictonwineinfo.com/ and www.tourismpenticton.com/things-to-do…

saw Prestige Wine tours van parked in town recently which is not on the list above - I know nothing of their operation www.prestigewinetours.com/narramata.html I just noticed because people ask.

There is a real late greyhound bus you could take friday nite if you are young enough to survive the journey.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

I also would recommend Penticton as your "launching point". From there you can go down to Oliver, or up to Kelowna, but most wineries as cbaarch indicates are closer to Penticton and stretching south to Oliver and Osoyoos for Nk'Mip and Burrowing Owl. Two of the best....although there truly are so many great ones.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 03:04
Prince George...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

I would also recommend Penticton as your destination of choice. Once there, there is a hop on, hop off shuttle service that allows you to tour any of the wineries along the Naramata Bench for $55. You can find out more information about it here: www.okwineshuttle.ca/… This allows you to pick and choose which wineries you would like to visit and go at your own pace. Kelowna does have a few wineries but the majority of wineries can be found along the Naramata Bench and between Osoyoos and Oliver.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

I agree Penticton is a good place to base. There are a lot of wineries om the Naramata Bench and some near Okanagan Falls and then a plethora from Oliver to Osoyoos. I have a couple of favorites near Okanagan Falls. Noble Ridge and Liquidity which just opened this year.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

Such great info guys, thanks for taking the time to pass on the info

9. Re: Wine Tour leaving from Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:20