We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver in December ??

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aliso Viejo...
6 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver in December ??

I would like to visit Vancouver in December with my family.So which places do I visit during that season ??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,965 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver in December ??

Hi Sarang ~

What kinds of things do you like to see and do when you visit a new place? How old is "the family?"

Be prepared for average temps of about 3-5C. As well, it may rain a bit or a lot so make sure you have rain gear.

There is a recent thread on the forum about almost the same thing, with Christmas attractions included, so will point you to that with the link here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k69344…

You might like the Christmas train in Stanley Park fun to do. If you buy tix online before you get there, you will miss the ticket buying line and go straight to the boarding line. It's popular, so advanced purchase is a nice way to not have to stand in line too long, or find the event sold out.

Many hotels lobbies have Christmas trees decorated in their lobbies.

The Seabus across Vancouver harbour would be a dry ride over to Lonsdale Quay where there is an indoor market. As well Granville Market is indoors for the most part with buildings within a short walk from each other.

The HOHO buses would be dry and might suit you to ride around to look at the city, get off where you want to explore and get back on to continue.

Grouse mountain has reindeer and Santa's workshop which involves a 15 minute gondola ride up the mountain.

Aliso Viejo...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver in December ??

My daughter is 4 yr old. I'd like to visit places of scenic beauty. And not interested in activities like skiing.

What other locations in BC would you folks suggest apart from Vancouver?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,965 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver in December ??

It will be December in Vancouver and BC. The darkest month of the year with sunrise about 8h15 am and sunset about 4h30 pm. It will be cold, wet, arguably quite unattractive. I can't think of anywhere in BC that will not be in winter. But you might look at Victoria on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. It is drier than Vancouver and has more days without rain in general.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver in December ??

Here's a link to a review I did last December ... after we did a short stay in Downtown Vancouver when/while attending Goh Ballet's 'The Nutcracker'.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g154943-d5017…

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver in December ??

.... missed edit time.

And "luckily", we experienced some rather fine late-fall weather last year during that stay ... it was "cold", but dry, and easy to get around, and with some new fallen snow on the North Shore mountains, some rather lovely scenery to enjoy during our walkabouts!!

We're hoping for a little of the same again this December -- early in the month (to attend an opera), and then again mid-month (for my birthday), to attend this year's Goh Ballet performance of 'The Nutcracker'.

Good luck, and good wishes in your travels!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver in December ??

At that time of year and not being interested in skiing, I would stick to Vancouver and maybe a few days in Victoria (on Vancouver Island). Both climates are much milder than the rest of BC. You might have snow but much more likely to have rain and cool temperatures. I personally like Vancouver in December because of all the holiday activities, most mentioned above. The Stanley Park Bright Nights train, VanDusen Garden has a Festival of Lights, Grouse Mountain has special events and you will see plenty of snow, Christmas displays downtown, all would be fun for a 4 year old. There are also plenty of indoor activities such as Science World and the aquarium. The ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria is quite spectacular with great views of some of the Southern Gulf Islands.

7. Re: Vancouver in December ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:21