We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Vancouver Island

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Vancouver Island

Hello!

I'm very much looking forward to 7 days over in Vancouver in February 2014.

I'll be staying with a friend who lives in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, does anyone have any tips for getting from the airport to the island please? I'm aware there's a ferry & sea plane. Costs? Pros/cons?

Is it feasible to do a day trip to Seattle? Best travel options?

We land at about 6:30pm on a Saturday and leave the following Saturday around 7pm.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Vancouver Island

Your arrival time is too late for a seaplane to Nanaimo. You can use a wheeled plane to Cassidy (YCD) for about $75. Cassidy is 20 minutes from Nanaimo by car. Ferry is cheaper but a bit of a nuisance to get from the airport to the ferry. Plan for 3 hours vrs 20 minutes flying. Seattle is 3 hours from Vancouver by car without border or traffic waits. There is a foot ferry from Victoria to Seattle. See Victoria Clipper. Another option is Amtrak from Vancouver. However you go, Seattle as a daytrip is a push.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Vancouver Island

Hi katyblue ~

Not sure where you will be flying in from, so you might have to go through Canadian Customs before you're free to carry on to Nanaimo. Maybe add your location to your profile.

If you rented a car, you could catch the 10h45 pm ferry from Tsawwassen ferry terminal to Duke Point near Nanaimo. 40 min to Tsawwassen, an hour wait for the ferry, 2 hour ferry ride. $51.25 for the car plus $15.50 per person. Any jet lag to consider?

www.bcferries.com

Or take a hotel shuttle to an airport hotel and fly by seaplane the next morning.

As mentioned, Seattle return drive from YVR airport could work into a 6-8 hour round trip, visit time in Seattle extra. You might be able to connect to a flight to Seattle from YVR, to spend the night, visit the next day then take the Clipper to Victoria. Allow 3 hours for the Clipper then a couple of hours by rental car or perhaps Greyhound.ca up to Nanaimo.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Vancouver Island

<< looking forward to 7 days over in Vancouver in February 2014.

I'll be staying with a friend who lives in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, >>

I'm sorry, but this confuses me. When will you be in Vancouver? Is the 7 days before or after your trip to Nanaimo? Do you need to get to Vancouver from the airport, or Nanaimo?

<<Is it feasible to do a day trip to Seattle? Best travel options?>>

From where? From Nanaimo or from Vancouver? I suppose you can probably fly from Nanaimo, or certainly from Victoria. You can drive or take the train from Vancouver. You only have 7 days, not sure spending one day transiting several hours back and forth to Seattle is the best use of your time on Vancouver Island.

http://www.hellobc.com/vancouver-island.aspx

4. Re: Vancouver to Vancouver Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 05:18