We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

My wife and I are traveling to Vancouver this week for 4 days. As always, I have read a lot about Vancouver on Trip Advisor, but am suffering from indecisiveness and analysis paralysis. What would you suggest for a couple that wants to mix great food, some site-seeing, and some fun experiences in Vancouver (no skiing this trip though). We are staying downtown.

I have a few reservations for dinner at some of the top places ranked on Trip Advisor (Miza, Vij's, Blue Water Café), and we are going to the symphony one night as well. Let's say we get there Wednesday and leave Sunday, what would a perfect itinerary look like?

Is the Capilano Suspension Bridge a good idea this time of year? What about a sky plane adventure as an expereince? Can we really go to places like Granville Island or Gastown and walk around on our own to find interesting things to see or places to eat? Is the Museum of Anthropology a must? Finally, any recommendations on the best food tour to go on? Anything that I should rule out due to weather right now?

My apologies that I seem so lost, but I am told Trip Advisor "genie's" always come to the rescue to help! Thanks in advance for you guidance and recommendations!

Vancouver Foodie Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Taste Vancouver Food Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours
Historical Chinatown Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

Vij's is "first come, first served", so reservations don't exist there. Maybe you have it confused with someplace else.

Gastown and Granville Island are easy to just wander around in. Lots more choices of restaurants in the Gastown area.

If you are interested in First Nations history and culture, the Museum of Anthropology is stunning.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,985 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

The MOA is a remarkable collection, although IMO, lacks in interpretation. It is a comprehensive collection of artifacts that can be overwhelming. It really depends on what you like, but if you like that sort of thing, its top notch. I'm a fan of the little Museum of Vancouver and the Maritime Museum. Both of these tells a story specific to this part of the country and does a good job of interpreting their collections for the visitor.

Even if you don't want to ski, you might enjoy getting into the snow. We don't have any on the ground, but a quick trip up one of the local mountains will put you into the snow. Maybe try snowshoeing?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

You could do a food tour in Gastown as one way to seeing what the area has to offer food-wise and getting a bit of history. I can't recommend a specific company but I see that Taste Vancouver and Vancouver Food Tour do foodie tours of Gastown. Of course you can do Gastown on your own as well but as you're interested in doing a food tour, it would make sense. Edible Covariance also does a food tour of Granville Island. My DH has gone on this one and thought it was pretty interesting (and he's not a foodie).

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

Capilano Suspension Bridge - Not really worth the trip in my opinion.

Granville Island is a great place to go but for only a few hours.

If you go to Granville island make sure you do a trip to see the Killer whales. Its a few hour trip but was one of the greatest experiences of my life seeing so many whales and bald eagles and sea lions and seals.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

I liked the Capilano Suspension Bridge, but you need to hit at an off peak time and in good weather. They have a new (or newer) tree walk where you can walk well up in the trees along a series of 'catwalks' as well as a glass floored walk that juts out over the gorge/river valley.

That said, it's not something to do in bad or cold weather - if you can't see much or it's slippery, it's not worthwhile. Better to hang out in Vancouver and make the most of the good weather around town.

6. Re: Help on Itinerary for upcoming trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:16