We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

Greetings:

I will be hopefully visiting Vancouver in the near future. I have a ATM card from a non-Canadian bank that I have used in other countries so I don't expect any problems in Canada. However, what is the maximum amount of cash that an ATM machine will dispense daily in Canada? Is it a maximum of $500 Canadian dollars a day or more or less? Any information given is greatly appreciated.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

I think its a function of your bank acct as well however I've found that most ATMS limit to about $400. I'm sure that varies from bank to bank

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

It's up to your bank or CC issuer.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

An ATM may have a limit of $400 (or whatever), but you can keep making withdrawals until you hit the daily limit set by your bank

Edited: 02 December 2013, 10:34
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

I just wonder if repeated withdrawals in the same amount in a short timespan would result in the bank suspending the account for "suspicious" activity? I know Canadian banks are known for being more guarded than especially American banks...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

My bank allows me $500 per day. However, I think if you exceed your limit you can use you VISA card at the ATM for more cash......or simply go to a bank.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,287 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

It's a good idea to let your CC provider and your Bank know in advance that you will be travelling to xyz country and when......this will alert them to the possibility of more frequent ATM activity.....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,763 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

Make the arrangement for your daily maximum ATM withdrawal amount with your bank. That limit will be in riyals and will convert to the currency of the country you are visiting. Also check with them what their per transaction fee is and how they calculate the exchange rate for Canadian dollars. Before you leave for Canada, or any country, have them put a travel watch on your bank card so that they don't suspect fraudulent activity and freeze the card. Same for your credit card company.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

you should NEVER use your cc to get cash. It comes out as a cash advance with high fee and you are charged daily interest. One company I worked for gave us our expense $$ on a visa debit card. My expenses were often $1500 or so. I had one heck of a time ever getting enough to use it as the machine would limit the withdrawl and my bank had a lower limit. I gave up. The amt maximum that was common was around $400. love ATMS but not for getting lots of $$ out all at once.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

My daily limit is $1000, I can withdraw $800 in one transaction through CIBC. As stated it would depend on your bank, not ours as to how much you can take out.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the limit a Canadian cash machine will dispense?

My limit with my bank is $1,000 as well. When I was in Australia, I tried to take out $900.00 at the ATM there. Nope! Okay, 880..00. Nope! 850.00, finally! All because of the exchange rate on that particular day. When I needed more cash again the next time, I had to go through the same "trial and error" to find the maximum amount I could get. Of course, it was a different amount because the exchange rate is constantly changing.