We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,387 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

The government of BC will be modernizing laws regarding alcohol. Changes include:

* minors would be allowed into establishments that primarily serve liquor, for example pubs and legions, up until a certain time.

* Happy hours would also be permitted, although drinks would be subject to minimum pricing

* customers in restaurants or bars which primarily serve food would not be required to order food with their drinks.

* Customers would also be allowed to move freely with their alcoholic drinks from one adjoining licensed area to another — for example, between a summer patio and an indoor section of the pub.

The government says they are planning to implement at least these out of 70 recommendations presented to the government.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

Change for the good...thanks for the bit of info Mufti...

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

Cool now we'll only be 50 years behind

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

lol

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,525 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

As a child who was regularly left on the steps of a pub while my parents when inside for an afternoon beer, I'm glad to see these changes. (Just so people don't get the wrong idea, my parents are English cyclists, and stopping at the pub as part of the Sunday club run was a tradition they couldn't give up. When we were in England, I went into the pub with them, but here, I was left on the steps, and they had to rush down their drink)

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

and eventually the powers that be are planning on putting booze in suprmarkets, when of course they have decided that we are as mature and responsible as most of the rest of the world

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

Love the changes allowing minors in pubs. The day the law changes, our family is off to the Crow and Gate Pub in Nanaimo for a proper family pub meal!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

From I've read the change of allowing liquor in supermarkets may not be what you think. The liquor section will be attached to the supermarket, but you still have to line up and pay separately for your liquor. Not really too much different than what we have now with quite a few liquor stores besides supermarkets.

Also if they don't change the rules of how many liquor establishments can be in an area, very few supermarkets will get the chance to sell liquor and in some cases you may see the smaller private wine shops unable to compete with a giant like Save On Foods etc.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

No I realize that its what they call "a store inside a store" like what I saw in Ontario a few months ago, so its not what it could /should be but its still a big step forward to our incredibly archaic laws

Edited: 19 December 2013, 20:34
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,387 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

Vancouver Sun, Dec 18, 2013. p. A2. More details:

http://tinyurl.com/kw9em9a

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Happy Hour in BC and other alcohol matters

right you are rustproof. And giants like Walmart will rake it in too - while private liquor stores that have paid a lot of money for their licences and their staff over the years will be SOL. Oh well - Jimmy Pattison and Warren Buffett need the money.

Speaking of Jimmy - that online wine outlet he owns called "everything wine" will probably be the liquor outlet you will see in the superstores and Overwaitea. Win win for him.