We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burnaby area

West Chester...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Burnaby area

Another thread in this forum made me consider going to Burnaby during our Vancouver trip late next week. There are going to be 5 adults & 2 toddlers (age 1 & 3) in our group.

We are considering these places:

* Burnaby village museum: any tips/tricks on this place?

* Burnaby mountain park: How accessible is the top of the mountain (where there are the totem poles, rose garden, etc)? Are they accessible by car? Which spots are the best to get a nice view & do we need to hike on a particular trail?

* Deer lake park: between this & Burnaby mountain park, which one do you recommend more?

* Ceperley house: is it just a restaurant or are there anything surrounding the house?

* What attractions are good to be grouped on the same day as Burnaby area attractions? We are interested in landmarks, cultural/historical places, gardens, unique places/experiences.

* Are there good foods around there? What is Vancouver famous for in terms of food?

Mentioned in this post
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
Douglas Reynolds Gallery
Art Galleries, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Waterfront Station
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Angel of Victory
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Monuments & Statues
Brockton Point Totem Pole
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Burnaby area

As of this moment the top of Burnaby mountain is buried in snow-might appeal to those from Sandyeggo.

The Vancouver food question is impossibly broad-the short answer is Chinese food but nuances are many and details seemingly endless.

Mentioned in this post
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burnaby area

How long will you be in the area? If you have limited time, I'm not sure I would take a trip out to Burnaby (and I teach at Simon Fraser University which sits atop Burnaby Mountain so I know the place well) but to answer a few of your questions...

Burnaby Village Museum, it's an okay outing, they have a nice carousel that the kids should enjoy. You can easily access Burnaby Mountain Park by car, good view and yes, totem poles, also a playground. If you're up to it, you can walk around Simon Fraser University,which was designed by Arthur Erickson. Its moderist design is sometimes used in sci-fi movies. The Village Museum and Ceperley house are in Deer Lake Park so you could easily do all three and take a trip to Burnaby Mountain Park, it's not a far drive (I would recommend driving, public transit would be long and complicated). If you want to go a bit further afield, a short trip along the Barnet Highway from North Burnaby will take you to Rocky Point Park in Port Moody, it's on the Burrard Inlet and one of my favorite parks in the area, or Belcarra Regional Park, which also offers access to Indian Arm (a glacial fjord).

In terms of food, we have a variety of ethnic cuisines including excellent Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, etc. as a result of many different immigrant groups residing here. Different areas will have different concentrations, so it depends on where you are. For example North Burnaby has a number of Korean restaurants as well as Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese...the possibilities are endless.

Mentioned in this post
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
Port Moody
Port Moody
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burnaby area

In your research, I assume you found the Tourism Burnaby website?

http://www.tourismburnaby.com/visitors/

As noted, the Deer Lake area is a bit of a hub in Burnaby for attractions and many of your destinations are all in that same area, so it's convenient to see as many of them as interest you in one stop. I just checked and it looks like Shadbolt Centre doesn't have any show on currently, which is a shame. That would be a good fit with a visit to Heritage Village.

Deer Lake is a nice walk, but I think you will find the trails extremely muddy at the moment. Same with Burnaby Lake Regional Park which is between Deer Lake and Burnaby Mountain, although Burnaby Lake does have some boardwalk sections.

Burnaby Mountain is mostly a "drive up" destination and I think its worth a visit on a clear day, although you might find you are finished there in half an hour. Right in the park is one of the nicest restaurants in this area - Horizons.

https://www.horizonsrestaurant.com/

Nearby New Westminster is a heritage hub, as the original seat of the provincial government.

http://www.tourismnewwestminster.com/

You might find Irving House to be a bit too repetitive of what you already saw at Burnaby Village, but its another very good historic building. People have also enjoyed just driving through the neighbourhood around Queens Park where there are several beautiful heritage homes.

Mentioned in this post
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burnaby area

There really is so much to see in Vancouver and closer to Vancouver that I would put a visit to Burnaby well down the list unless you have a lot of time during your visit.

The "food / restaurant" scene is much better in Vancouver than in San Diego (I used to live in La Jolla.)

There really isn't any touristy restaurant hub like the Gaslamp Quarter here, but as has been mentioned Asian foods of many nations and styles abound here. Plenty of great seafood options as well. You can really find any kind of cuisine that you are looking for here.

Mentioned in this post
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
San Diego
San Diego
California
West Chester...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burnaby area

Thanks for the replies.

We are spending 4 days & 3 nights in B.C, from Dec 28-31. The first 2 days will be spent on driving from Seattle to Whistler & then spending the rest of them there. That leaves us with 2 days & 2 nights to explore Vancouver.

So far the plan is:

Sat (Dec 29): dinner in Richmond, stay at hotel in Richmond

Sun (Dec 30): downtown & vicinity

Stanley Park area

lunch: Robson St

Gastown

Canada place, vancouver lookout, sunset

snack; Granville Island (market closed @7)

dinner

Mon (Dec 31):

Queen Elizabeth Park - is it worth it to visit in winter time?

One of the suspension bridges or Burnaby area (Burnaby village museum, mountain park, &/ deer lake park)

drive to Seattle

Please let me know what you guys think? Thanks :)

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Burnaby
Burnaby
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burnaby area

Dec 29th - are you planning to take in any of the Stanley Park attractions? The train or the aquarium?

vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/bright…

http://www.vanaqua.org/

If yes, then that will take your entire morning, so even just getting to Robson Street for lunch will be pressing and you might be better off to eat in the park. You can eat inside the aquarium, or there are several places to dine inside the park, although I'm not entirely sure which ones are open, but I'm sure you can find out.

vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/dining…

Are you driving? Parking in the city might be a nuisance, esp. getting in and out with toddlers. Stanley Park is easy because you pay once and you can use your ticket anywhere in the park. Parking for Canada Place will be expensive and cumbersome, and I'm not sure your toddlers will get anything out of it. You might want to just drive through Gastown and see if you feel like stopping. I don't know that you will want to do too much shopping along Robson or through Gastown, so one of those destinations might be enough for your group (just thinking about how much a bored, tired toddler can ruin things for everyone!)

Granville Island should be a good choice. My kids have always enjoyed it there - usually plenty going on to keep it interesting and while it can be very crowded, I can usually find parking somewhere and then you can wander around for a couple of hours. I'd also recommend taking the kids for a ride on the ferries.

http://theaquabus.com/

http://www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/

If you go with False Creek Ferries, they have a stop up at the Maritime Museum at Vanier Park. The Maritime Museum is actually very kid friendly, and might be a good place to get inside, but even if you just walk around the dock there and look for seals and walk along the beach a bit, its a nice destination.

My kids have always just loved going to the Bloedel Conservatory in QE Park and its a perfect destination for a winter's day because its warm inside. The birds are always interesting and its just a nice place to have time in the "park" without being outside.

vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/bloede…

I think you might want to make the call on whether you go to Capilano Suspension Bridge or Burnaby Village Museum based on the weather. If its a nasty day, then there are more opportunities to get inside at BVM.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,258 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burnaby area

So, you will drive on the 28th from Seattle to Whistler, a Saturday, so maybe 5-6 hours depending on the border crossing wait. Check out this article from the Top Questions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c200000/Vanco…

Then on the 29th, you are going to drive back to Richmond to stay at a hotel? Do you not want to stay downtown?

On the 30th, I might switch GI to the afternoon and do Capilano Suspension Bridge in the evening. Canyon Lights will be on and effective in the dark. Sunset will be about 4:15 pm. We have had 2 nice ones this month. Mostly the skies have been cloudy.

http://www.capbridge.com

On the 31st, I think all the outdoor activities here will be quite dreary and barren looking. The ones that have the best outdoor "context" or setting, IMO, are QE Park, Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge but not in the dark, and Cap Bridge. You could catch up on Gastown this morning where eateries for lunch abound.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burnaby area

I think you could spend much more time at Stanley Park. It's quite big and there is lots to do including a very good aquarium and the Bright Nights train -- miniature train that runs through a various scenes with Christmas lights -- runs from 11 am (although it's much better after dark). There are also several playgrounds within the park so as others have said, it really could be a good half day (or more).

If you do plan on doing any outdoor activities, including going to playgrounds, I would suggest investing in "muddy buddies" or plastic rain pants for your toddlers . Most kids here have them and they're great for outdoors when everything is likely to be wet (avoids wet bums). Also, rain-boots are a must.

Also, Granville Island has a entire Kids Market devoted to toys and kids activities, including an indoor gym (costs a bit extra). granvilleisland.com/directory-location/direc…

There is also a playground there.

If the weather is bad, another options is Science World. While most of it is geared to older children, younger ones will also have plenty to do. It's a short ferry ride from Granville Island.

Mentioned in this post
Science World
Science World
1,117 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
West Chester...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burnaby area

Thanks for the helps and tips! Yes, we will be driving (as opposed to taking public transport), as we'll be needing the cars while we are in Seattle, too. I didn't expect the drive from Seattle to Whistler will take that long (5-6 hours). We thought it'll be around 4 hours - that shows our lack of familiarity with border crossing :).

So far we are planning to take the loop along Stanley Park, starting from the totem poles area going in circle until English Bay. One of the adults don't really fancy aquarium, so not sure if we are going there. But we'll probably going to visit the miniature train.

If I switch Canada place to evening, will parking be easier? I want to get a picture of the five sails and Olympic cauldron (will this be visible at night?) There is also sails of light, but I'm not sure from where we'll see it yet.

Is there a best place to see sunset at Granville island?

Where can we buy plastic rain pants? Do Grocery/supermarket or 7-11 carry them?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
English Bay
English Bay
2,415 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burnaby area

I'm not sure that the Olympic cauldron is lit. They only light it for special events. I also don't know that there is an angle where you can get the cauldron and the five sails in the same shot because the Vancouver Convention Centre is in the way. I wouldn't count on that one. Jack Poole plaza is on the west side of the VCC, and Canada Place is on the east side.

There are parkades around Canada Place, so I guess you'll just have to use one. Its not the best area for short stops. Its fine if you are planning to park the car for several hours, but could cost a fair bit if you are only planning to be in the area for a few minutes. You'll just have to try your luck and see what you can grab.

Yes, I think 5-6 hours to get from Seattle to Whistler is a minimum. I would expect it to take the better part of 3 hours to get to Whistler once you are through the border.

I used an MEC rain suit for my kids when they were very little, but I don't know that you want to invest in one of those.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-082/mec-newt-rain-suit-infants/?h=10+50084+50086+50020&f=10+50086+50117

You won't find kids clothing at something like 7-11, but you can look in the department stores (Sears, The Bay, Target).

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Convention Centre
Vancouver Convention...
629 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada