We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

I will land at SFO airport and will be staying Vancouver for 3 nights. I will have to pay for Skytrain to hotel and Seabus to Lonsdale Quay. I would also need to use other lines for transportation. Do i need to pay surcharge if i buy a day pass when i take skytrain to my hotel ? How to use the 10 tickets coupon? Maybe i just buy 3 days day pass. Is that better to travel in Vancouver ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

What are your dates? Our transit fare pay system is changing fairly soon so the advice will be different after about February, I think.

If you are going to be here on weekdays and taking a lot of transit all day every day, yes, a Day Pass is better. $9.75. You have to buy them in the Domestic terminal from the 7-Eleven store. There is a surcharge only on single fare tickets, not prepaid passes of faresaver booklets.

The books of 10 tickets are called Faresavers. You will need 1 zone booklets to travel around just Vancouver. You may need 2 zone booklets to go to North Vancouver, depends on your dates. You simply tear out a ticket and insert it into the bus farebox. it pops back out and you keep it. Good for 90 min.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

I will be in Vancouver on 7 - 10 Feb. So i think i will buy 3 days day pass. What about Seabus ticket to Lonsdale Quay and taking bus 236? Any more ticket i need to buy?

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

A Day Pass will take you everywhere, until "last bus" which means after midnight. So you may continue to use it it past midnight until the busses stop for the night.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

Thanks, So i got to get to Domestic airport on arrival from international airport to purchase this passes, right?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

Same airport all under one roof. Just ask at the many information booths for 7-11 (on level 1) Gate Guru is a TA app you can download for airport info. Buy a book of one zone good for all zones after hours. At the platform there is a machine with a map. If you are travelling to two zone it permits a "top up" to your one zone with cash or credit card. Less restrictive than a day pass unless you know you will be making multiple transits on any day. Yes, the seabus ticket is good for any bus with 90 minutes of time stamp. This info will change as the Compass Card system is phased in. http://www.translink.ca/

Edited: 26 December 2013, 18:37
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

The Compass Card may have been implemented by your dates. I don't think they will be selling new Faresavers at that point but will be allowing existing ones to be used up. Happy to be wrong about that.

The terminal consists of two buildings, built about 25 years apart, fortunately joined by a large, wide, pleasant, indoor corridor. 5-8 min walk.

Not sure how a faresaver tix is less restrictive than a day pass. However, your dates are Thursday to Monday, so a day pass for Sat/Sun may not be the way to go. You will need to compare the cost of all your daily trips against the cost of a Day Pass. Certainly the cost of 3-4 trips on a weekday will be very very close to the $9.75 Day Pass. You might pay $2 dollars more for a day pass but that might be worth it for the flexibility the pass provides.

Faresaver costs: translink.ca/en/…FareSaver-Tickets.aspx

Day Pass costs: translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

There is no three day pass. Currently, there are Faresavers, Single Day Passes, and Monthly Fare Cards. As Mufti points out, these are all being phased out in favour of a prepaid Compass Card that will have a minimum purchase value of $25. The exact implementation date of the Compass Card is not yet known, so we can not tell you if you will be buying Faresavers or a Compass Card.

All fares are valid for the transit system, including buses, Skytrain and Seabus. The only system that operates a bit differently is the West Coast Express. As per your other post, you will not be riding the 236 one stop as per that You Tube video you found because its pointless. If you feel it is so important to see that street, then you will just walk there from Lonsdale Quay.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

You won't have to worry about the Compass card. It won't happen while you're here. Some people will be using it but general public will wait until Spring/Summer 2014.

translink.ca/en/…Compass-Timeline.aspx

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

Thanks for the info.

My wife and i will be traveling together. Look like buying 4 days day passes are sometime not needed as we will be walking in town side mostly. We only need to travel to Lonsdale by Seabus and walk around to see what we like to buy or eat.and 2 ways airport to center and return.Visit the Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge Park,Visit dowtown Vancouver, Gastown ,Stanley Park, WestEnd Yaletown Granville Island,famous public market. We are staying at St Regis Hotel .So i think i will buy 2 day passes for one day usages and buy 1 faresaver of 10 tickets for me and my wife usage. If not enough i can buy more later.

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,773 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy Day Pass or Faresaver tickets, in a book of 10 tickets,

Just read the Compass Card is not going to be fully rolled out until late 2014:

http://tinyurl.com/mzevkqh

I read "3 days day pass" as a day pass for each of 3 days.

There is a $6 refundable card deposit which means a Card will cost $6 to buy and that reserve amount can be dipped into to be able to take your last ride. But then you have to reload the card. A vendor will refund all unused money when you're finished with the card. So the card will have to have at least $2.75 more loaded on it. I'm not sure about that $25 though. You will be able to load $9.75 for a Day Pass if you want to. I think loading a Compass Card at a vendor or a vending machine is going to have the same various choices as buying a 6/49 ticket. There will be all kinds of loading options for people to choose from: monthly pass, day pass, single fare including the discounted faresavers, GoCard, HandyCard. Adult and Concession. All selected by pushing a button or two on the vending machine and coded onto the card.

translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Compass-Car…

Back to regular programming as the OP will not be using a Compass Card.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 00:54