We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

I'm travelling to Vancouver in late August. Its the third time that I've visited that beautiful city. I couldn't resist spending a few days in Vancouver before I start my tour of British Columbia and Alaska. However the tour starts in Victoria on 26 August 2014.

I've read the "How do I get from Vancouver to Victoria" information on the TripAdvisor website. However I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what people feel is the best way for me to travel to Victoria. Is it best to go by coach and ferry or should I catch the train - bearing in mind that I'll be lugging a 22kg suitcase around with me?

If I do catch the ferry, do I need to pre-book my ticket? Does the ferry have a cargo hold for passenger's luggage or do I have to keep my suitcase with me at all times? This would be a little awkward as I'm a solo traveller.

I'd very much appreciate any advice that you can give me. I love Canada and have have longing to return.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 05:12
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

There is no train to Victoria. It's on Vancouver Island. The easiest is Pacific Coach. You board the bus in Vancouver and your luggage goes in the bus stowage where it stays until your arrival in downtown Victoria. The bus drives to the ferry ..once on the ferry you go up to enjoy the 1.5 hour crossing. You reboard the bus as the ferry arrives in Swartz Bay and the bus then drives go downtown Victoria where you reclaim your luggage. Pacific Coach now takes reservations.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

Hello Quokka! I remember your last trip. T47 is exactly correct. You can also fly, but the ferry trip is worth doing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,723 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

Hi Quokka, welcome back!

The journey takes about 4 hours from downtown to downtown. Here is a map of what's involved:

http://goo.gl/maps/yAldZ

If you zoom the map, you will see where Pacific Central Station is in Vancouver and where the bus depot is in Victoria.

Pacific Coach Lines requires reservations now. But just a couple of days ahead. They only need the info to plan the number of drivers and coaches they need.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

Thankyou for your help. As it's likely to be peak season when I'm travelling, I'll speak to my travel agent and see about booking my seat before I leave Western Australia. I like to have everything organised.

I can't wait to return to Vancouver and the beautiful scenery and cooler weather. At 9:30am on Sunday morning it was 41C. We've had two days of 41C+ temperatures.

There have been bushfires near us (I live by the coast) and also in the hills overlooking Perth. At least 44 homes have been lost. A colleague of mine had to be evacuated. The fire came within 4kms of his house. He and his partner have been advised to stay with relatives. Daniel still doesn't know if his house is still standing. Anything could happen with the wind that keeps on changing direction. All I can say is thank goodness for the fire brigade, the Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade and the water bombers.

Luckily there is a cooler change today. It's only expected to get to 29C. Our minimum was 29.7C on Saturday night. Luckily we have air conditioning. It's a necessity when you live in Perth. The lower temperature and higher humidity should help the firefighters to contain the bushfire.

Has Vancouver been affected by the polar vortex? It's been all over the news here in Australia. We get a lot of international news. Roughly a third of every nightly news program is devoted to news from overseas. It looks like Eastern Canada, the mid-west and Eastern USA are badly affected by the polar vortex. However I couldn't make out if British Columbia had been affected.

Stay warm!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

BC has had the usual rain, rain and more rain...with less snow on the mountains than usual. ...and average temperatures. I'm not sure how far ahead you can reserve Pacific Coach. If you're in Vancouver for a few days you could call them on your arrival.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,723 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

You will be here in our summer. The weather thing that you are hearing about is 4000 km away in Ontario/Québec, where winter actually means something. We don't get "winter" out here. Have a look at the weather data for when you will be here:

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

and Victoria:

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

Dear Vanouverite 67,

I've been longing to return to Canada. It's been four years since I was last in Vancouver. I think about my trip to Canada almost every day. I love your country. People keep on saying to me, "Why don't you travel somewhere else?" I always reply, "Because I love Canada!"

My beautiful Golden Retriever Bronte died in my arms last year. She was 14ys old. Bronte had severe arthritis and various other (expensive) health problems. She was ill for a very long time but never let it get to her. Bronte was playful and thoroughly enjoyed life right up until a few hours before she died. Surrounded the people that she loved and who love her dearly, it was kinder to let her go to heaven.

Bronte was born with love. She lived a life full of bountiful love and she died surrounded by lots and lots of love.

I haven't been on a holiday for four years. I love my big beautiful Bronte dearly and didn't want to be parted from her. It's been just over seven months since she died. Although I miss Bronte terribly (and always will), it's now time to stop focussing solely on work and start thinking about going travelling again.

I remember that day that you took me to the various "Twilight" locations around Coquitlam. It was one the highlights of my trip. My niece and my "Twilight" obsessed colleague were envious that I had been there. It was wonderful to be able to walk through that beautiful forest and to see 'Jacob's House'.

On this trip I'm going to be revisiting old haunts as well as seeing more of Alaska. I loved Alaska. All that pristine wilderness (like in British Columbia) was simply wonderful! In the mean time, I'm making do with all of my DVDs about Canada - I've purchased quite a few!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

I've been hearing about the heat and fires in Perth. Terrible.

If the Polar Vortex is affecting us at all, its pulling in more warm, moist air from the Pacific. The arctic air is coming down east of the Rockies and we're getting none of it.

Sorry about your dog.

9. Re: Travelling from Vancouver to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:19