We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa.

Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa.

I am travelling to the USA to join a cruise in Whittier, Alaska. I have an ESTA which is approved for travel to the USA. I will depart the cruise in Vancouver, Canada. I will then take a taxi to the airport for a flight back to the USA. I hold an Australian passport. Further to this cruise, I will be travelling around the USA and will arrive by air at Buffalo / Niagara Falls and cross over to the Canadian side ( Ontario ) by taxi and stay for a period of 3 days and return to the USA by taxi.

To sum up:-

I have an Australian passport.

I have an approved ESTA.

Do I need anything else for example a completed 1-94W for travel between the 2 countries ?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa.

Your ESTA will be good for both to Alaska and then the subsequent flight from Vancouver to Buffalo. If you enter the USA by other than air or sea, for example by road/rail to Seattle to get a flight, you will need to complete the I-94W at some point. The I-94W is not an onerous task by any means. With an Ozzie pp you do not need a visa for Canada.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 03:36
Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa.

Thanks for your reply Frommy,

I thought I would be ok with an ESTA to get to the USA ( Alaska / Buffalo ). My impression was that the 1-94W was an immigration card that you have to fill in on the flight to the USA. I will be travelling by road ( Taxi ) from Buffalo NY to the Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side, so I guess I will have to fill out a 1-94W. Can you get a Form 1-94W online ? Anyway thank you for your help.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa.

The I-94W is about the same information that you fill in on the ESTA application. The form is only available as a sample on line AFAIK.

Taxi? Are there not shuttles to NF NY then you can just walk across the Rainbow Bridge to the Canada side?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa.

They are to be had at the border for $US6. Because of your ESTA previously used and on record, you will be "known" to US Customs officials and it will be a breeze. The procedure has changed slightly for Visa Waiver Program Countries such as UK, Aust and NZ. See post 12 on the following thread for crossing from Canada to the US.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798347&highlight=electronic+I-94

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa.

The means of transportation from Buffalo to NF can be found on this article from the Top Questions of the Niagara Falls Forum (to the right of that forum page.) Linked here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154998-s301/Niagara-…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa.

ESTA is not a pre-approval process for entering the US, it just authorizes you to fly to the US to attempt entry as well as handling the paperwork upfront. Under the Visa Waiver Program, the final decision to admit you always rests with the border officer.

The I-94W used to enter the US at the land border combines the paperwork and the authorization into a single process. It is the same questions as ESTA, so you won't flunk any of those and it should be pretty routine. It may be slow, however: it's handled inside the office (not at the roadside booth) so you can be stuck in line behind other immigration cases, some of which can be much more complex. It can easily take more than an hour with that waiting time factored in, so having a taxi meter running could be expensive.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,996 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa.

>>"a completed 1-94W for travel between the 2 countries"<<

Hi Heybob1;

Just to clarify - the I-94W Visa Waiver is for visiting the US only. It has nothing to do with "travel between the 2 countries".

Best Regards

Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa.

Thanks to all you guys for your valuable help. I will have to think about a taxi if perhaps I have to wait for some time to have a 1-94W processed. Maybe if I get a taxi to the Rainbow Bridge, walk across and get a taxi on the Canadian side to my hotel ?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa.

As noted above - the I-94 is for entry to the United States by land. So if you have to fill one out, you would be doing that when you LEAVE Canada (at Niagara Falls) and return to the USA. You do not fill it out when entering Canada (Niagara Falls) from the USA.

Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa.

Hi phpr,

thank you for clearing that up for me. ( At last it has sunk in ).

A big thank you to everyone for all the help you have provided for this old codger.