We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan hire

Cairns, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Campervan hire

Hi just wondering which campervan hire company are good and which are not. looking to hire a van for about one month in July/August. Starting from Vancover and should we return or finish somewhere else . Want to see a lot of country side

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan hire

Welcome to the forum, Mark ~

This is a big question. Only because there is no outright answer and it requires some grunt work on your part to discover the information you need to make an informed decision. Just like anything: hotels, restos, car rental agencies, this RV business will have its good and bad reports, so it really comes down to research and then giving it your best shot.

But there are some things I can do to get you started.

A comprehensive article from the Canadian Rockies Forum about RVing, including feedback links for some companies. RV rental companies at the end of the article:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canadi…

Some previous threads by search of various forums:

tripadvisor.com/…29011589

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k4155… .... which includes a link to the following website:

RV Campsites, choose Canadian flag: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k4097…

Go RVing: http://gorving.ca/

RV in BC: http://www.campingrvbc.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154945-i207-k4881… ... Westfalia will probably not be the type of RV you are looking for, but beware.

Trans Canada RVing, including BC and Alberta, along with general tips:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c5325/Canada:…

Are you familiar with RVing? and you pretty well know what's involved in doing so? Or is this an idea that you think would be a great thing to do here in the hinterlands of BC? It is possible you may find the fuel costs of lugging such a heavy vehicle around and the lack of flexibility when wanting to go exploring after parking up for the afternoon/evening to be something to consider.

Starting and finishing at the same place will avoid a one way drop fee which can be quite large. With a month, you would have ample time to do a very nice loop around the most attractive bits of the province here and the Rockies, without doubling back at all. Many of us would suggest car and motel for the flexibility of getting around, and for spending less money than the RV would cost. Lots of people RV here, but some areas are more conducive to it than others. Cities and some roads in the Rockies not so much.

Without more information about what "Want to see a lot of country side" means, it's hard to comment further. BC is 15% larger than NSW and the majority of us live within 300 km of the border with the US. Going further north than say Prince George would lend itself to RVing for sure, but as I say, lots of people RV across the southern strip of the province, where we use Hwy 3, Hwy 1 and the "most" northerly, Hwy 16. North of 16 starts to be isolated country.

Each and every forum will have Top Questions to the right side of the page (on a computer) which contain popular and frequently asked questions. The British Columbia Forum will have a set that would be very helpful to read, as does the Canadian Rockies Forum.

Hope this helps give you some starting points.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan hire

Mufti has given you a lot of good information. Add to this that we manage a BC Provincial campground and we see many tourists from England, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, New Zealand and Australia coming through the campground. Most will have a modest sized rental RV, some have larger ones depending on the number of people in the party, and some rent a car and tent. It can be done, but you must do your searching for the right unit at the right price. Many of these people do one way drop offs from Calgary to Vancouver or vise versa. Some do large loops to drop off at the originating point. Some comment on the expense, some have got good deals.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan hire

Here in the Netherlands RV-ing in Canada is big. First thing people assume when you tell you are going to Canada is that you "for sure will be renting a camper".

Most people seem to book a camper way in advance through a touroperator in the Netherlands, sometimes a package which includes flight, 1 night hotel and camper rental. Booking in the Netherlands appears to be cheaper then booking in Canada directly. So it is worth going some investigation through a Canada touroperator in your country or a travel agency that is specialized in Canada.

Read all the small prints as there are a lot of (hidden) extra costs, like: insurance fees, rent of linnen, pots and pans (called personal kit), early pick up fee, drop-off fee, extra kilometers (200 km included per day, which is not that far in Canada) and so on.

Seasoned traveller...
Level Contributor
5 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan hire

My wife and I have just returned from a one month RV trip to BC and into Alberta starting at Vancouver where we hired an RV from Cruise Canada.

We covered 4000+ kilometres in a C25 vehicle which was nearly new. This was our second experience of the Cruise Canada / America campers, the first being a 10 day trip from San Francisco in January 2014, we are fairly experienced with campers having owned our own 21ft Autocruise in the UK and travelled both in the UK and Europe.

These are my thoughts:

It's a vast space and travelling between towns / RV parks can take hours and cost perhaps $100 per day if you keep moving.

The C25 RV's at Cruise Canada even though newish are old fashioned and poorly equipped. E g the bedding is inadequate paper thin 'comforters ' or sleeping bags. You may have to visit Walmart to make life comfortable.

The double fixed bed mattress is covered with a thick plastic zippered thing for 'hygiene ' reasons and the bedding slides all over it at night . Advice, unzip it and take it off! Put it on prior to returning the vehicle, it's not wash but worth it.

Check the vehicle thoroughly before accepting it for broken hinges on cupboards, doors, toilet seat and general cleanliness, particularly the wooden flooring

No cleaning materials are supplied, not even cloths , maybe just a bucket

Be prepared for a long wait when you pick the vehicle up, 2 hours is not unusual

We found the RV systems worked well such as grey/black water, fresh water, gas/ electric fridge, hob unit and heating. The roof mounted a/c was noisy but worked.

The staff at the Vancouver depot which is about 20 mins by taxi from the airport, were very friendly and helpful, they even loaned us a toaster for the month.

Have a good map beforehand, Vancouver , particularly Highway 99 north is not easy to navigate, we used an ipad for which I bought a Telus 3G is card giving us internet access with google mapping, it was excellent.

If you use the highway bridge East of the depot to go north there is a toll payable on line or just off the bridge, pay it as the fee for failure is prohibitive and Cruise Canada will charge an admin fee if the have to pay it - don't forget they have your credit card number!

RV parks are normally between $ 20 and $35 depending on what facilities you take e.g water, electric hook up and sewerage. The dept of Conservation parks are excellent for the money e.g at Tunnel Mountain Banff, Jasper, They are well run and maintained without a lot of permanent 'residents' living in them.

If you are heading north then the Ice Field Parkway is a must, stunning views and spectacular scenery.

The inner passage ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy is a fantastic journey even though is expensive and 16 hours long, a once in a lifetime journey!

Be prepared to share the driving if you can, the roads are good and Canadian drivers except the truckers are polite....distances as I said are vast and driving time can be long.

June is a good time even though some higher visitor ares are still snowed in!

I have more to say but ask me if you want more information.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,999 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan hire

Dave&Chris - that's a very useful summary. It should be somewhere else (not sure if its possible to do reviews of the RV rentals) or at least a stand alone post to make it easier for future travellers to find with the search function.

<<The dept of Conservation parks are excellent for the money e.g at Tunnel Mountain Banff, Jasper, They are well run and maintained without a lot of permanent 'residents' living in them.>>

In this article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c201141/Briti…

It explains the basic difference between government run campgrounds and private campgrounds. In Banff, they are operated by Parks Canada, elsewhere in BC they are often run by BC Parks. I'm not entirely sure about the Parks Canada regulations, but BC Parks limits stays to a maximum of 14 days. For a lot of the private parks, the full time residents are their bread and butter that keep these places open through the rest of the year.

Seasoned traveller...
Level Contributor
5 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan hire

Thanks,

I should have mentioned in my summary that Cruise Canada / America will not permit you to take your camper van on the same day that you arrive by international flight into Canada or the USA.

You have to wait until the next day before they let you pick it up. Therefore start your hire on the day after arrival and book a hotel for you first night near to the camper van depot / pick up point.

In exceptional circumstances they will capitulate and let you pick it up BUT you have to prove that you are booked into an RV campsite within a few miles of the depot, not easy as most of the depots are on industrial estates and there are few decent sites locally to them, just scruffy town sites with 'residents, not the nicest of places!

7. Re: Campervan hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16