We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 day trip from Vancouver

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
20 day trip from Vancouver

My husband and I, both in our 60's are arriving in Vancouver for a 20 day trip on 17th May, flying back to the UK on 6th June. We will have a car for the whole trip. Our plan is to do a circular trip through the Rocky mountains, staying a few days in Jasper and Banff. We would also like to drive the Sea to Sky highway. At the end of our trip we would like to spend a few days or a week on Vancouver Island. I haven't had much luck locating a road map to buy in the UK. Can anyone help me with a suitable route? We would like our first night stop to be no more than 2 hours drive from Vancouver.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

This site should be of use

http://www.drivebc.ca/

Also this one

…gov.bc.ca/Circle_Routes/circle_routes_home.…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

An up to date GpS/NAV system may be helpful as you seem to want to drive fair distances ...

Edited: 08 February 2014, 15:44
UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

Thank you that helps with a map. Do you have any recommendations of where to stay within an hour or two of Vancouver in the direction of Kamloops? Is it best to stick to the most direct route?

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

Yes we will hire one on arrival thanks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,638 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

The route you are taking is a pretty well worn one. Take a look at previous trip reports and TA articles which can be found in the Top Questions sections to the right of the forum pages. Such as this from the British Columbia forum:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c184601/Briti…

You should also go to the Canadian Rockies forum, which is in the Alberta regional forum - since the Rockies are located in Alberta.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

hi

Have you looked at google maps for doing this kind of planning? i.e.http://goo.gl/maps/3wveZ My suggestion is that you stay in Vancouver for 2-3 days which will allow you to get over jetlag; you can use public transportation; and then do a car hire away from the airport to save some fees. For the car hire have a look at http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/car-hire/ a travel site which allows dropping off in Calgary with no drop off fees etc...

By dropping off in Calgary you do not need to do a circular route allowing more time for Vancouver Island.

After Vancouver I suggest that you start your journey by going to Vancouver Island first by taking the Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay ferry (Vancouver-Victoria)there and coming back on the Departure Bay(Nanaimo) to Horseshoe Bay (Vancouver)

for ferries info http://www.bcferries.com/

On Vancouver Island you are looking for info on these many destinations: Victoria; Chemainus; Ladysmith; Nanaimo; Comox; Campbell River; Telegraph Cove; Ucluelet and Tofino . You will then have to make compromises on which ones you want to see.

Once you have done a bit of research; with the links provided above; you then will need to decide on which of the 4 to 6 routes to get to the Canadian Rockies; all of them have merits and most people that will respond will have their preferred routes.

Some timeframes

# days areas

2-3 Vancouver

4-7 Vancouver Island

2-4 relocate to the Canadian rockies

5-9 in the Rockies

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

Thank you cbaarch. That gives me something to think about. However our flights in and out of Vancouver are already booked and also our car for the whole duration. So now I just need to chose a route to the Rockies and a different route back. Thanks for helping.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,999 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

Yes, for maps use the online maps. They are very useful.

https://maps.google.ca/

You just type the name of a town in the search bar and it will show you that place, and you can use the "Get Directions" button on the left side to map a route and get driving times. I still like a paper map when I'm in the car, but for planning purposes, this is a tool you need to learn to use. If you are having trouble with it, I suggest you try your local public library. I'm sure a librarian will spend a few minutes with you helping you to figure it out.

There's lots of work to do here, but for a start, I'm going to suggest that you don't rent a car for your first few days in Vancouver. Its a bit of a nuisance in the city, parking is expensive, and you will save 17% tax on your rental if you take it more than 24 hours after arrival.

This article has links in it to maps in Google that you can look at.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

I'm going to suggest that you look at heading out to the Rockies using a variation of route C and then return using route B but continue to Whistler from the north and come down the Sea to Sky towards Vancouver at the end. You can then pick up a ferry to the island from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver.

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

So much helpful information to get working on. A great shame I didn't ask before booking flights and hiring a car for the whole time but too late for that now. Thank you so much for all the advice everybody.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20 day trip from Vancouver

hi

Have you booked any accommodations? this will help to steer you in certain directions.