We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

I am in the early stage of planning a trip to Vancouver this year leaving London on he evening of Thursday 26th October and flying back on Saturday 4th November (possibly the 5th if need be to fit everything in). So we will have about 8 or 9 days to play with.

I will be travelling with a friend and having discussed this tonight over a pint, we would like to explore Vancouver, Vancouver Island and also hope to get down to Seattle. Is this feasible and how many days should we spend in each place to get a feel for it. We don't mind going to museums if it's one whose topic isn't covered in London but we both really like just walking around a city to get a feel for it. Also bear in mind that we would want to fly in and out of Vancouver.

Thanks for any assistance.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

It would be very easy to do all three. On the Seattle forum on the 'inside' pages I have a whole section of getting between Canada and Seattle. I would go to Vancouver, take the evening train to Seattle (amtrak.com) around $30 one way. From Seattle take the Victoriaclipper.com to Victoria. Easy to take the bus back to Vancouver or to the airport from ferry terminal. I suggest this routing as the train to Seattle only runs at 6pm but you could as easy reverse the itinerary but this would make the most sense.

I think 3 or 4 days in Vancouver, 2 in Seattle, and one or two in Victoria would give you a good flavor. Just depends on how many day trips you want to take out of Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

A nice drive to Whistler for the day is another option while in Vancouver.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

If you are going to Vancouver Island I highly recommend that you rent a car in Vancouver, catch a ferry at Horseshoe Bay (just north of Vancouver) to Departure Bay on Vancouver Is. From there drive up and across the island to the west coast town of Tofino (about a 4 hour pleasant drive)---there you will find the magnificent Pacific Ocean in all its grandeur including the Pacific Rim National Park (check it out at http://www.vancouverisland.com/regions/towns/?townID=28). There will be lots of accomodation available in Oct.---try out a cabin right on the beach ( for example the Ocean Village Beach Resort---http://www.oceanvillageresort.com/ From there you could head south to Victoria, enjoy Victoria for a couple of days and then take the ferry back to the Vancouver mainland (or head further south to Seattle).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

Do you want to see Victoria, or Vancouver Island? Victoria is the main city on the island, but it's a different world. The highlights for me on VI are the natural wonders; the foggy beaches, the wild inlets, the tall rainforests...

Victoria is lovely, but it's distinction in Canada is being a city transplanted from Britain. If there was a city in Europe that had been designed to imitate Europeans' idea of Canada, it would probably be low on my itinerary. Why fly halfway around the world to see what you get at home?

However, unless you can find a tour, the island is hard to explore without a car. So if you're interested in seeing some of the wild scenery, I would try to pick up a car in Victoria, drive up to Tofino or Ucluelet for a couple of days, then drive back to Nanaimo and get the ferry to Vancouver from there and return the car to the airport. It's about a 4 hour drive to Tofino from Victoria and another 2 back to Nanaimo.

I would probably do 3 nights in Van, 2 in Seattle, and 3 on the island.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

Mick: How about flying into Vancouver, ferrying over to Victoria, then Victoria clipping south and flying out of Seattle? Also, Adam asked for help earlier this year on his October adventure to Oregon, Washington and BC, so take a look at all the suggestions he received:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28968-i73-k443319…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

One museum that has not got a peer that I'm aware of in UK is the EMP in Seattle.

Museum of music and guitars so if you're into your music then definitely consider checking it out.

And I forget the street but there's some very good microbrewery type pubs in downtown Vancouver :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

Thank you all for the good advice. I've now started to look at air fares and this is having a bearing on which airport we use.

To use Vancouver, BA wants £660 and Air Canada £675. So unless there's any good deals coming up soon, that's a no no.

Then I checked about using Seattle and BA would charge £470. AA do not seem to fly direct to Seattle and they're only about £50 cheaper than BA but the journey times are a lot longer.

So, I'm now thinking that flying in and out of Seattle makes more sense, especially as the Amtrak fare between Seattle and Vancouver is only $26 one way. The victoria Clipper is $69 one way.

So here's my thinking of an itinerary.

Thurs. 26/10 - arrive in Seattle 4.35 pm. Get a good night's sleep to get over jet lag.

Fri. 27/10 - Depart for Vancouver Island (8am ferry). The plan here is to hire a car and explore the island.

Mon 30/10 - Depart for Vancouver

Thurs 2/11 - Depart for Seattle on Amtrak ( 12.30 or 5 pm train arriivng Seattle at either 4.30 or 8.30).

Sat 4/11 Depart Seattle 8.45 pm flight back to London

Does this sound OK?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

Why would anyone fly to Vancouver at those prices?

I like the look of the itinerary.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

I agree with amberm1 that it looks like a good itinerary.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seatlle

just one thing to consider. The only 'train' from Vanouver runs at 6 pm arrives 10 pm. The other times listed are actually for an Amtrak bus. Its quite convenient and runs direct with no stops but the train is way more scenic. Just a suggestion. If you have plenty of time I'd suggest the train.