We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car in Vancouver BC

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car in Vancouver BC

I heard something about if you are in the country 24 hours before you rent a car there is a 17% tax discount on rental cars?! Is that information correct? If so what are the details?

Thanks!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

I have never heard of this .... and I have been renting cars in cities across the country for more than 20 years.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

I think what you are referring to is the cost of renting a car from the agencies situated at the airport, which seem to charge premium prices, compared to the cost of renting from an off-airport location. I have read that in some cities agencies protect the airport arrangements by requiring the person renting to pay premium prices in the off-airport locations unless they have already been in the location for 24 hours or more, This appears to be a quite common practice in many countries unfortunately.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

Not just @ YVR but anywhere in the city if you've arrived by plane in the previous 24 hrs so it's necessary to dissemble and don't expect any help from rental company staff you'll have to do it on your own if you're so motivated.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

There is a 17% surcharge (tax, airport improvement fee) if you rent at the airport. This fee is also charged in the city if you rent within 24 hours of arrival. They will ask if you arrived recently and if you answer "honestly", the fee will be charged. But they do not ask for proof of when you arrived.

This is the case in Calgary also.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

It's starting to be standard practice in many major cities around the world. Above summary is correct.

los angeles
Level Contributor
886 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

We arrived at YVR last Sept. and headed to Victoria right away. Rented a car the following day (less than 24 hrs from arrival) from National and there were no 17% surcharge. BTW we booked the car on-line. :-)

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

Thanks so much for all of the helpful information, it is very informative. I appreciate all the responses!

8. Re: Rental Car in Vancouver BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 07:17