We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
817 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

Sorry, but had to ask! We are a group of 4 adults, early 60's. We are planning a trip early Sept, 2014 to Vancouver, Victoria, and Whistler. We probably will stay 3 nights in Whistler. I assumed we would take the train there because I imagine it is a beautiful ride. However, the fares are much higher than I had expected, if I am reading them right (approx $240 RT/person). So now I need another idea. I know it is a windy ride. Does anyone think it is "barfy"? Yes, I know there is Dramamine and Bonine (non drowsy), and I am sure I will take some, but I really don't want to go on a ride I KNOW will be bad! Like going on a boat in rough seas...just can't do it. Thoughts?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,234 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

The sea to sky highway has been much improved but there are still some sections that are winding (as opposed to windy which is may or may not be depending on the days weather lol). I have driven people on the S to S who get car sick and they were fine. I have also driven some and they were not fine..but they were tired and hadn't had a proper meal. It's not too bad overall and I expect that you'll be just fine on the bus. There are a couple of bus options as well as private car transfer but you may want to just hire a car and do the drive which gives you lots of options to stop along the way to visit Shannon falls, Brittania Beach and other stops..as well as giving you the option to stretch if you feel unwell. (If you've been on the road out to Stinson Beach then the Sea to Sky is a straightaway compared to that!)

Car rental would be the most cost effective for a group of 4. You won't need a car in Whistler but it can be handy if you want to drive up to Pemberton for example.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 02:10
Alameda, California
Level Contributor
817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

@Traveller47...thank you for the Stinson Beach analogy. That helps a lot. I hadn't looked into renting a car...that may be a very good idea...it will certainly be a beautiful drive, and I wont have to worry about having tall bus seatbacks in front of me!!! I have read about the many stops and side trips we can take a long the way if we rented, so I will look into that.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 02:48
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,790 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

Alas, there has been a collision of some kind in the last half hour between Squamish and Whistler that has closed the highway indefinitely. I'm pretty sure there is snow on the road up there as Whistler just had a very big snowfall in the last 24 hours. That doesn't mean indefinitely, as in until March, :-) but this wording is usually used when the police have to take the necessary accident assessment time. Sometimes a few hours. At that point, it's a no go, as there is no detour for the Sea to Sky highway. But don't be alarmed, you are coming in September when the weather will be much much more friendly.

For attractions on the way to Whistler, have a look in the Top Questions to the right of the page, in the GETTING OUT OF TOWN section. There is a good article on what to see on the way to Whistler. Such a great month to snoop your way along that highway.

You may enjoy "driving" along the highway to Squamish. The following link takes you to a spot on the Sea to Sky at Lions Bay. You can move your mouse over the photo then click on the chevron that appears on the pavement, to take you on north as far as you want to go. It will give you an idea of what I consider is the curviest part of the highway.

http://goo.gl/maps/WcWxP

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

Mufti...very cool link. Thank you.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,289 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

most people do not take the trip both ways cause it severely limits the time you have free in Whistler. The train ride is quite specatacular and I always enjoy it. Consider train one way and coach tour back.

vancouvertours.com

does a great job of this tour.

6. Re: Bus or hired car to Whistler "barfy"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19