We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver and Vancouver Island

Bridgton, Maine
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vancouver and Vancouver Island

This July, we're flying in to Calgary, spending time in the Lake Louise area and then Jasper. From there, we're planning to spend 3 days in Vancouver and 3 days on Vancouver Island. We'll have a car, so we can go anywhere. I'm just wondering if it's too long in each place. We'd head up to Whistler, but we will have come from the mountains and will be ready for Ocean... Any suggestions? Is it too much time in Vancouver/Vancouver Island?

calgary
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

3 days on Vancouver Island will only scratch the surface of what you can see and do there. That time limits you to seeing Victoria and surrounding areas.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

You ask if you are spending too long. But you've only told us you have 3 days in Vancouver and 3 days for Vancouver Island, so it's difficult to say.

Three days in Vancouver will give you a quick overview.

Vancouver island needs 10-14 days, with only 3, you have some difficult decisions ahead.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 14:13
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

not even close to enough time in my opinion.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

when you say Vancouver Island do you really mean Victoria, or do you mean the whole island? If the latter, 30 days would not be enough. What is it you want to do? Hike, kayak, sail, eat, sip local wine and cider, soak in natural hot springs, climb mountains, surf?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,790 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

You need 2 weeks for this trip, 3 weeks with locations on Vancouver Island for a decent visit.

3 nights Banff, day trip to Lake Louise

One full day on the Icefields Parkway to explore

3 nights Jasper

1-2 nights to drive the 10 hours, 850 km to Vancouver

4 nights Vancouver

4 hours by car/ferry to just Victoria for 2 nights. Possibly drive 5 hours for 3 nights in Tofino

6.5 hours by car/ferry back to Vancouver for the last night before your flight out.

----

Look for the higher costs involved with a one way car rental.

If you have less time than this, consider a loop car rental in and out of Calgary to visit the Rockies, then fly to Vancouver (1.5 hour flight departing every hour from YYC), visit Vancouver 4 nights without a car, then rent a car to go to Victoria 2 nights, and back to Vancouver the night before your flight out.

My 2 cents. More details about your time frame and your interests would bring better advice.

Please pop up one forum level to the BC Forum and look in the Top Questions to the right of that forum page. There you will see our Trip Report Collection. Good info there for your planning too.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 18:23
Bridgton, Maine
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

Okay... I'm on the 3 night itinerary rotation... 3 nights at Lake Louise, 3 nights in Jasper, 3 nights Vancouver and 3 nights Vancouver Island... We would love to have more time, but unfortunately we have time limitations. Jasper back to Calgary is 5 plus hours and we could be half way to Vancouver (Kamloops) in that time. Is the driving through these places not worth it?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

So you are planning to do the drive from Jasper to Vancouver in one day? Ok, doable, but a bit of a chore.

Yes, you could be half way to Vancouver in the time it takes to get back to Calgary, but as you do that long drive, and you reflect back on the fact that you could have chosen to see that magnificent Icefields Parkway one last time, I think you'll wonder if perhaps that wasn't the better option....

Where on Vancouver Island? Are you thinking 3 nights Victoria? I'd take one night from there and put in on the drive down from Jasper to break that up a bit. Its a long haul.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,234 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

The " not worth it " question is tricky...only you can decide. We regularly drive Vancouver to Edmonton in one 12 hour stretch...2 drivers.. I really enjoy the scenery on hwy 5 but it really isn't comparable to hwy 1 ...once you 're past Mt Robson heading west from Jasper it's more forest, rolling hills, some ranch land. It's a much easier drive in many ways than Hwy 1 ( transcanada) because you're heading down between the mountains rather than over up and down.

You have to work with the time you have for sure...only caveat to your plan is you want to be back in Vancouver the day / night before you fly out. Unless you're leaving from Victoria. So do 3 Banff, 3 Jasper, 3 Vancouver Island ( either Victoria or Nanaimo) then 3 Vancouver. If you have 2 drivers and don't mind long driving days you could actually drive Jasper, Little Fort, Lillouet, Whistler , Horseshoe Bay ferry, Nanaimo in one long day...most on the forum will say this is too much but I think it really depends on your own travel style. It will be about 10 hours driving plus 2 hr ferry at the end (1/2 hr advance arrival for ferry plus 1.5 hr crossing)

Also have you checked one way car rental drop charges?

9. Re: Vancouver and Vancouver Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:24