We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

central NJ
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

What neighborhoods do you recommend for a car-free visit. We like city life (restaurants, bars) and scenery too (walking, bike trails). We want to be central but not smack in the center of a noisy area.

I saw accommodations in Gastown and Olympic Park that interested me. Is the latter too far out?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

Not Gastown too many late night disturbances and too many disturbing & disturbed people on the street any time of day.

I live in Kitsilano-beaches, streets lined with huge mature trees, restaurants galore-a short hop on the bus or quick 10 minute bike ride to downtown.

No hotels as such though-see if any of these appeals

http://www.kitsilano.ca/bed-and-breakfasts/

Edited: 29 March 2014, 15:21
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,004 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

Kitsilano is a well-established neighbourhood with lots of character. Olympic Village is brand new and shiny. Its nice, but its still pretty new and 'cold' feeling, IMO, although they have done a nice job with it and there's some nice restaurants.

I think you might also like the west end, snuggled up against Stanley Park. Its a busy, residential area, and perhaps a bit busier than you want, but everywhere in the city is 'busy' by our standards anyway, perhaps not so much by yours.

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

I would recommend either west end or kitsilano near the burrard street bridge. Alternatively anywhere near the seawall. Check out airbnb because there aren't many hotel choices in any of those areas. I live near the burrard at bridge in kits, and its only a 15min walk over the bridge to get downtown and another 15 min walk to be right in the centre of downtown. Also, out busses run very frequently.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

I've visited Vancouver three times in the past year, staying twice at the Sylvia Hotel in the West End (chosen for location, and on a friend's recommendation), and once downtown at the Sutton Place Hotel (chosen because of a promotion offering a highly discounted rate, and for proximity to public transport to the train station). For a leisure trip to Vancouver, I don't think you can beat the Sylvia's location - right next to Stanley Park and English Bay, and so many dining options on Denman Street and others nearby.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

Olympic Village is high rise apartments connected to everything in minutes by sea-wall, foot ferries and subway. It is across from Yaletown which is also high rises. YouTube has many videos of Vancouver's neighbourhoods. Here's one of the Olympic Village https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu5uFjt3Px0 and one of Kitsilano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj39KrIPcmw but there are many videos.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,004 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

I am also a big fan of the Sylvia's location - my favourite spot in the city.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

I second the Sylvia Hotel for a West End location or Kitsilano (through VRBO or AirBnB because there are no hotels there) - but you would want to be closer to 4th and Burrard.

I'm also wondering if the Granville Island Hotel might be an option if you prefer a 'hotel' vs 'condo'. It is away from the hustle bustle of the city, yet close enough to enjoy all that it has to offer with a sea wall, small ferries taking you downtown, etc.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 00:04
Vancouver
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

We live in the WestEnd of Vancouver. It is within walking distance to everything. There are hotels on Robson ,Davie St. And heritage house b and b's right in the Westend neighbourhood. Olympic village can be reached by foot passenger ferry and Gastown with its funky restaurants and Seabus to North Van is about a 20 min walk.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

>>I saw accommodations in Gastown and Olympic Park that interested me.<<

Sounds like condo rentals, not hotels. Is that the case? I think the Woodwards building in Gastown has some condo rentals and that would be off centre, but downtown. Close to transit and easy walking. #19 Stanley Park bus all the way along Pender St, two blocks away. Fairly new building as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighborhood for Car Free Visit-downtown

Really, anywhere downtown will do, whether that's Gastown, Yaletown, Coal Harbour, or the West End. Downtown Vancouver is so tiny, you can walk from east to west in 30 minutes, and from north to south in 15-20 minutes. I work in Yaletown and walk to English Bay beach in 30 minutes. I can walk from Yaletown to Gastown in 15 minutes. I can walk from Yaletown to the Olympic Village in half an hour along the seawall... or I can jump on a water taxi from Yaletown and be there in 5 minutes.

There's nowhere downtown where you'll find non-stop car-honking traffic. I mean, Dunsmuir and Burrard, Georgia and Granville, Howe Street, as well as Seymour Street - they're all busy with traffic during rush hour, but by evening there's not a whole lot of car traffic downtown. Granville Street will have the drunk college kids on the sidewalks on weekends, and Gastown has the hodgepodge of hipsters, cruise ship tourists, and homeless people harrassing the tourists. Olympic Village will be super quiet - has some great craft beer pubs and a wonderful boutique liquor store there! And you're walking distance to Vancouver hipster neighbourhood of Main Street/Mount Pleasant, which has more restaurants, bars, coffee shops, craft breweries, independent clothing stores, and things that wouldn't look out of place in Portlandia.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now, but don't underestimate how tiny downtown Vancouver is. City life and scenery is basically everywhere downtown. Shops/restaurants cluster around Water Street in Gastown, Hamilton and Mainland Streets in Yaletown, the entirety of Robson Street, the entirety of Denman Street, and the entirety of Davie Street. Waterfront paths and scenery exist all along the waterfront.

Hope this helps!