We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

Gold Coast Qld
Level Contributor
280 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

Is theRocky Mountaineer really worth it for value for money?? Or are there any reputable coach tour companies that do the circle or western route at a cheaper price.?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to travel late August.

Vancouver Foodie Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Tour Guys Vancouver
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
SKY Helicopters Inc.
Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Discover Canada Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k726167…

Have a look through this very recent thread. It may help you with some decisions about a tour.

The Rocky Mountaineer is very expensive, and not worth it, IN MY OPINION! But I live here! Even with their promotions for residents, it is too much money for me. And no guarantee with the weather either!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,998 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

I think the Rocky Mountaineer is comparable to other rail journeys elsewhere. For some, it is worth it, for others, well they would rather put their money into other experiences. I do think its an excellent experience (by reputation, I can't say personally) but I have to agree that its very expensive. I'd be in the group of people who would prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Are you certain you want a tour? It's pretty easy to arrange this yourself with a rental car.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

Hi Hazel ~

I think the worth it question would be answered differently by different people. The thread that Joan linked is for a trip in May which is a very different scenario than a trip in August as you are planning. May is shoulder season and not always reliable. The RM is not the same experience, although they do have their own glitches on their 2 day journey to the Rockies.

Reviews for the RM: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154943-d1…

It would be helpful to know your possible arrival city and departure city and how many nights you have planned for your trip.

Here is the link to the Trip Reports from the Top Questions of the BC forum (to the right of the page) which will help you understand what it is like for people to drive around the province and be in the Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c184601/Briti…

There are plenty of reputable coach tour companies that travel through the Rockies and to the coast as well.

APT (Aussie Company)

Scenic (Aussie Co)

Tauck

Globus

Trafalgar

Brewster (Alberta company)

Collette

Edited: 22 April 2014, 02:33
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,437 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

I'm in the tour of this as a tour guide and there are a few companies if you're looking for budget tours I could suggest you look at. 1 would be caravan.com and the other is K.

gate one travel.com

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

I am trying to choose between the "Journey through the Clouds" itinerary and the "First Passage to the West" itinerary. Essentially I am trying to determine which route is more scenic and how interesting Jasper and the surrounding area are. If I do the Journey through the Clouds itinerary, I plan to rent a car after the train trip and drive down to Lake Louise and Banff.

Which itinerary would you recommend?

6. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 16:54
Calgary
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

I've been on the Rocky Mountaineer and the answer to your question depends on a number of things: 1) which route are you taking; 2) which direction on that route; 3) which service are you going for; and 4) what is your normal travel routine?

We booked the Goldleaf service which means you travel on a double decker train in which the top level is completely made of glass. Your dining room is on the lower level. You are served hot breakfast & lunch (multi courses, included in price) in the dining level. Drinks and snacks are served on the top level, and they are complimentary. Your bags are taken care of between the hotels & the train, and you have access to them every night. In some cases the bags are in your room when you check in. The level of hotel is also higher. Each service level stays at a different hotel. Goldleaf typically stays at Fairmont hotels, except in towns where there isn't one. This service level reminds you of how airplane travel must have been like in the early days - very attentive service, no worries about your bags, nice and comfortable.

Redleaf service rides on a normal train car with windows along the side. Meals are pre-prepared cold breakfast & lunches (think box). Your bags are taken at the start of the trip, but you don't see them again until the last stop. You must take an overnight bag with you for the intervening nights (size is limited). On some routes, there is a Silverleaf service, but not on the one I took, so I can't describe it for you.

We took the northern-most route (rainforest to goldrush). We chose that one because we had driven the areas along the southern routes many times. On this route, you do travel across areas that you cannot travel by car (no roads), and see almost isolated communities in valleys that don't have connections to the highways. You also get to see and experience some of Canada's historic engineering feats in their efforts to connect the provinces (this part is also true for the southern routes). The southern routes are the most popular with tourists, so tend to be very full. Our route is the least popular, and the direction we took - Jasper to Whistler - is also the least travelled. This meant we had LOTS of room to move around and could take pictures from every direction! We saw many animals - bears, golden & bald eagles, loons, marmots, deer, etc, and fantastic scenery! We enjoyed it quite a lot.

The Vancouver to whistler route (or vice versa) is also lovely, but there is less to differentiate the service classes. It does however have an open air viewing car that's great!

If you don't like to pay for or travel at a higher level of service, this tour company may not be what you are looking for. It is expensive, but it's also quite the experience. The hosts did tell me that the southern routes do get very full, so some of our enjoyment might have been tempered had we taken one of those, but those are spectacular areas of BC, and if you've never been, you might want to see those. One other thing, there are plenty of hotels in Alberta & BC that do not have air conditioning. Mostly that doesn't matter, but every so often it does. InAugust, it might.

8. Re: Rocky Mountaineer!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:15