We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Chinatown

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in Chinatown

Hi....I will be staying in Vancouver for a couple of days with my parents and my father would like to have lunch in Chinatown on one of those days. I love Korean, Vietnamese and almost every Chinese food available as does my father. We would love to find a place where my mom would be able to find something to eat not too spicy or weird. We would like to find a compromise between a hole-in-the-wall restaurant where the menu is written in Chinese and a westernized version of Chinese food. I am not asking for a Chinese buffet just to clear that up:)

Is it possible to find this first of all? Maybe all the good restaurants are those where you are afraid to go to the restroom but I am pretty sure my mom won't like it...neither would I as a matter of fact.

If you have any recommendations along those lines, I would appreciate it! We are staying at the Marriott Pinnacle downtown and was wondering about the restaurants in the near vicinity of the hotel. My mom has arthritis so she can't walk big distances so when it comes to dinner time, we like to stay around the hotel just so we have a short walk coming back. Any good recommendations are welcomed here. We are talking about a nice sit down dinner with wine and a nice ambiance and of course great food.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

http://www.yelp.com/biz/phnom-penh-vancouver

yelp.com/biz/the-boss-bakery-and-restaurant-…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good Chinese restaurants in Chinatown. Most are in Richmond. Chinatown is slowly changing over with more and more non-Chinese establishments popping up. That being said, Bao Bei is an somewhat unscaled fusion Chinese restaurant that gets good reviews. For more traditional fare, Jade Dynasty is not bad (service isn't great but the food is okay). I've taken my mother there for Dim Sum and she was fine with it. Phnom Penh is also good for Vietnamese. I also like New Town Bakery for Chinese buns and treats.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

I don't think Chinatown offers the kind of restaurants you're envisioning. It's more of a Chinese grocery shopping kind of place - perfect if you want to pick up a BBQ duck, pork buns, pineapple buns, and bring it back to your hotel. The actual Chinese restaurants there are pretty bad and aren't worth bypassing the dozens of better restaurants between your hotel and Chinatown. Phnom Pehn, a popular Cambodian restaurant, is an exception. Bao Bei is a higher end Chinese bistro - gorgeous, but not in any way a traditional Chinese restaurant.

The good news is that there are better Chinese restaurants closer to your hotel, such as Dinesty on Robson. I took my boyfriend's family there (visiting from Winnipeg), and they loved it. It's Shanghainese style Chinese, not westernized mall food court Chinese, but recognizable enough to appeal to western palates. Also on that part of Robson are some Korean options too (Sura immediately comes to mind), as well as some good Japanese options.

My recommendation is to eat Asian cuisine along Robson by your hotel, and save Chinatown for a window shopping destination.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 06:50
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

There used to be excellent Chinese restaurants in Chinatown years ago.

But now the neighbourhood has shrunk dramtically shrunk in size and a lot of the newer Chinese population has populated the suburbs (Richmond).

There is little left worth visiting.

Sam has given you some good recommendations.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

BTW - I notice that Dinesty doesn't have a website, but here's a blog post that the Vancouver Sun published - should give you a few ideas: …vancouversun.com/2013/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

I should also mention, if your Dad really wants to immerse himself in a Chinese environment, you could always hop on the Canada Line 20 minutes south to Richmond, where there are hundreds of Chinese restaurants, considered to be the best Chinese food outside of Asia. You could get off at Bridgeport Station and eat at Sea Harbour Seafood restaurant: http://www.seaharbour.com/

You could get off at Aberdeen Station where you could poke your head into Aberdeen Centre, a 3 storey Asian mall, which is sort of like a scene out of Hong Kong, as well as Parker Place, a smaller Asian mall next door. Maybe also walk across the street to Yaohan Centre to peek into Osaka Market. There are many restaurants in and around these areas, and dozens more on nearby Alexandra Road. Here's a blog post written by a Seattle food blogger who explored that part of Richmond - it gives you a pretty good sense of what Richmond's Asian food scene's about: eatinseattle.com/2013/05/guide-discovering-a…

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

Thank you all for your recommendations!! I had already googled korean restaurants since it is my favorite and saw Sura. I think even my mom would like some of the items on the menu. I had also found Dinesty which seems to be a good place for lunch. We are not that adventurous food wise so those 2 seem to be great options.

Thanks again for everyone's input! I can't wait to be there in a little more than 2 weeks:)

8. Re: Lunch in Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 06:16