We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 day Vancouver visit with limited mobility

Tucson
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 day Vancouver visit with limited mobility

Hi all - My husband and I will be arriving Sun eve, departing Thurs aft, staying at L'Hermitage, and would like to see a nice cross section of your city. I use a wheelchair and we will be relying on either public transportation or taxis. I've been perusing the forums (great info!) to get ideas but wanted to ask here also. There is a lot of information about walking tours but I can't tell the length or terrain (hilly, bumpy, no sidewalks/curb cuts) from the descriptions. Having gone on a couple of near vertical walk abouts in my wc I've learned to ask first.... Thanks for any and all advice. Really looking forward to our brief visit.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 1/2 day Vancouver visit with limited mobility

Pretty much all of downtown is wheelchair accessible certainly every building is and curbs have long been converted.

There a few slopes here & there downtown but nothing your husband can't push you up-tell him I said so (!)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 1/2 day Vancouver visit with limited mobility

We have become 100% wheelchair/scooter/walker accessible here, since Rick Hansen did his Man in Motion world tour, way back when. This means ramps, elevators, curb cuts, whatever is needed to permit rolling stock to go ahead unhindered. Public transit is roller friendly, the buses have "kneeling" buses. I think some of the older ones may have ramps that jacknife open, or slide open, onto the sidewalk. There is substantial space behind the driver, and on the passenger side as well for rolling stock. This means strollers, scooters and wheelchairs, but it seems to work.

City Centre is a pitcher's mound. The middle of it is elevated, all sidewalks and roads take a slide down to the water - the harbour, Burrard Inlet, False Creek. There are a couple of short blocks that are very hilly. The seawall (22 km total, 9 around Staney Park) is absolutely terrific for rolling.

What walking tours are you interested in? What attractions are you thinking of?

Here is a link to a walk that is flat, scenic and along the water. Pin G and L are bus stops. You can cut across from H to L without going around Lost Lagoon if you like, save a bit of time. Pin F to G is uphill. Pin H is Cathedral boardwalk over the marsh to a packed dirt path.

http://goo.gl/maps/S526H

L'Hermitage is on the mound! So anywhere you go will be inclined down and coming back will always be inclined up.

Here's a link to another part of our waterfront. Pin A to D is waterfront seawall and roller friendly. Pin C and Pin D are the landings for the Granville Island ferries across to Granville Island. However, the ramps once you get over to GI are steep unless it's high tide. I know someone would jump in to lend a hand to get the chair up. Walking up the side streets from B-D to E-F is a steep hill.

http://goo.gl/maps/o4UoP

I haven't continued that map around False Creek but if you look east from Pin D, where all the ferry dotted lines go through the water down to Quebec St. and then west again along the south shore to Granville Island is also seawall. I'm telling you, you could spend all your time on the harbour front sucking in the sea air.

The other place I suspect interests you is Queen Elizabeth Park. This is a cultivated garden within hectares of open park. It is located in a quarry, which is sunken and requires getting down into it. If I said city centre was a pitcher's mound, well, QEP is an actual hill. Take a taxi to the restaurant, Seasons in the Park and then follow the walking map marked in red on this page. The "space ship" you see on that page is the Conservatory with exotic birds like parrots and cockatiels and the path is uneven and might be challenging.

https:/…queen-elizabeth-park-play.aspx

We'll see if you have any more input at this point.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 02:32
Tucson
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 1/2 day Vancouver visit with limited mobility

Thank you so much for quick replies and so much information! I shall study it further and let you know if I have other questions. I suspect your suggestions and information will cover it. Thanks.

Linda

4. Re: 3 1/2 day Vancouver visit with limited mobility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:15