We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics for 1 day in Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics for 1 day in Vancouver

We are visiting Canada at the start of June and arrive in Vancouver at lunchtime on a Saturday and have the whole of the following day in the city before we head off. We are staying at the Century Plaza hotel so are reasonably central (and will have a car but just want to leave it in the hotel car park until we head out of the city).

From reading the guidebooks and ideas from on TA I think we would like to visit the Gastown area, Chinatown, walk along the Coal Harbor Sea Wall and hire a bike to cycle round Stanley Park. The problem I am having is how to fit these together into a day (or day and a half) - how to get between each sight. Are they all within walking distance of each other or will we need to use public transport - looking at the Skytrain it doesn't seem to link to Stanley Park but might help with the hotel to Chinatown/Gastown section.

Any suggestions welcome.

Also, should we try and fit in Granville Island or are we just trying to fit in too much? I'd rather see fewer things and spend more time than have a whistle-stop tour of all the sights

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,958 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics for 1 day in Vancouver

Welcome, Millimad ~

Afternoon first day, take #50 False Creek South bus to Granville Island, closes at 7 pm, for a couple of hours. Take #50 Waterfront Station, late pm to Waterfront Station. Walk 200 metes across the street to the entrance to Water St and Gastown. 1 hour-ish to look around, then bars, pubs, restos galore, take your pick for dinner.

http://www.gastown.org/directory

Walk over to Canada Place and look at the lights of the harbour from the "promenade deck" (Think architectural design of a large cruise ship, or what we locally call The Sails.) Either walk 500-600 metres to your hotel or walk back to Waterfront Station for your friend, the #50 False Creek bus to return you to your hotel.

Full day. Head down Burrard to Canada Place again. Check bike rental at Club 16 and head off west to Stanley Park along the Coal Harbour (a Cambrigian spelling that the American way?) seawall. Enjoy the harbour views, the seaplanes taking off and landing, the real estate of multi million dollar condo highrises along the way. Spend 2-5 hours, as you like, doing the 9 km seawall, crisscrossing the trails, stopping at the points of interest. Have lunch at perhaps Prospect Point or the Teahouse at Third Beach. Carry on to English Bay.

Decision time:

1) turn down Denman St to explore the shops and restos on that street. Wend your way east toward Burrard through a variety of the residential streets of the West End, using some of the old houses to imagine what the first residential neighbourhood of Vancouver must have been like over a hundred years ago. Look for Roedde House on I think Barclay St and the house next door, forget the name. End up returning your bikes. Don't know how much more time you have, but if an hour, head for Waterfront Station and the Seabus. Translink allows 6 bikes per sailing. Take it for a 15 min informal harbour cruise to Lonsdale Quay, get through the building to Carrie Cates Court, as you will be going to GI and that is enough. Walk east to Lonsdale then head for the boardwalk and the pier that extends well out into the harbour. Enjoy the views, then head back to Waterfront and return your bikes.

2) continue along the Seawall to Sunset Beach and the Harbour ferry to putt-putt you across to GI. This time cycle right through it, up Anderson St to just before 3rd Ave to the Seawalk to the right. Follow it all the way to Kits Point and further to the Maritime Museum. Go in to see the St Roch, the RCMP schooner that travelled across the Northwest Passage in the '40s. You can go on board.

Ride your bikes back to 3rd and Anderson, take the #50 downtown, return your bikes.

Done and dusted.

I'll come back when I can access my computer to provide a couple of maps. So give this a think and ask more questions.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics for 1 day in Vancouver

This is great - thank you so much. Just printed it off and will sit and read it with map in hand and see if we have any questions.

3. Re: Logistics for 1 day in Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:16