We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea plane

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sea plane

I'm going to be making my first trip to Canada in August with my sister. We will be visiting cousins on Vancouver Island and are beginning to make plans.

We are thinking that we will take the sea plane to nanaimo as that's where they live and it sounds like fun!

We are flying with transat from London gatwick to vancouver. How would we then go about meeting the sea plane? I had a look at the website and it looks like they can go from Vancouver airport, would that be easy to get from the arrivals area to where the sea plane departs from? I'm assuming that we would collect our baggage any everything as normal.

Also how far ahead should we book?

Thanks very much for your help

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea plane

The flight from the South Terminal permits the full 23 kg of luggage. From Van Harbour it is 11.5 kg pp. Harbour Air South Terminal, which is a out 15 min away from Main Terminal, has a shuttle that will pick you up when you arrive at the International Terminal. It would be good to leave about 3 hours, to get through Canadian Customs, contact HA, wait for the shuttle, transfer over, check in, board the seaplane, etc.

Weekdays are busy with business people flying around. A Saturday would be the best. Also heavy weather, in particular high winds, will ground these seaplanes. Not often though and least likely in summer. I would book 2-3 weeks ahead. You could email HA to doublecheck.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea plane

Thanks very much, my sister is having trouble finding an e-mail contact for them. Would definetly need to be south terminal one then due to luggage. This might be a stupid question but how would you contact them when you land? We may not have mobile phones working in Canada.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea plane

http://www.harbourair.com/

PS-Google is your friend

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea plane

I see they don't seem to provide an email address. If I understand correctly, someone lives in Nanaimo. There is a toll free number on their contact page for North American callers which is here:

I would expect to find pay phones in the main terminal. Either $0.50 or possibly $0.25 to call. I believe they accept Credit Cards. Your Nanaimo person can also ask how they want you to contact them. It has been soooo long since I used a pay phone, I am operating on vague memories here. There are plenty of Green Jackets (volunteers) at the Arrivals foyer to assist you find a phone.

Almost all pay phones here have been retired. Too many people have cell phones now, they cost more to maintain them than the revenue they generate. To the right side of this forum, there is a Top Question that provides info about SIM cards for cell phones. Or your cell phone carrier could give you details about a temporary add on to your acc that will allow you to use it here at a better rate than roaming charges.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 23:06
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea plane

Here you go...

https://www.harbourair.com/book-a-flight/locations/south-vancouver-(yvr)/

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea plane

Datthecoast thanks very much, that's just the information I was looking for but for some reason couldn't find.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea plane

Clever clogs, d. Digging down to website subterranean levels reminds me of processes here on TA. :-)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea plane

If the pay phones at YVR are like the ones at YYZ, you can call an 800 number for free. I know this because my cell phone battery died just as I was trying to call the parking shuttle ... LOL.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea plane

A few points about travelling on HarbourAir Seaplanes from YVR.

There is a courtesy telephone located at the hotel shuttle stop just outside the Arrivals Hall on your right hand side after you cross the cross walk. I believe it is speed dial button number 30. You will connect directly with the shuttle bus driver and he will let you know when he can come collect you. The call is free.

HarbourAir will transport all of your luggage for free. When you arrive to check in you will be entitled to the luggage allowance available from your departure point (23 kg from YVR terminal). If you have any excess baggage you can leave it with them and they will bring it over at their leisure, but generally within a day. They do not charge extra for this.

HarbourAir has a 10 minute cancellation policy. If you cancel within 10 minutes of the departure time you will not be charged. I would book at your convenience as there will not be any charges to you to change your mind.

You can call almost all 1-800 numbers from a payphone for free. Some companies, but very few, put locational restrictions on their toll free numbers. For example BCFerries toll free numbers are not available when calling from the USA.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea plane

and there are still payphones at YVR. As you come out of international arrivals walk towards the doors. keep to the far right. Pass the up escalator and you'll find a row of payphones against the wall. Harbour Air are great to fly with..like having a mini aerial tour as you're so low. Once saw whales while flying to Victoria ;)