We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Hi, planning to use Sky Train from downtown to YVR for my flight. Using Translink's web site - the fare is quoted to be $2.75, but there is also an added $5 charge? So it's going to be 7.75 total for riding one way? I also understand Translink is rolling out Compass card which I may consider buyin (I may use Sky Train again), would that exempt me from the $5 charge?

Thanks

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

The surcharge is only FROM the airport not TO the airport. So your fare from downtown would be $4. $2.75 is concession fare for seniors and sudents. Compass card isn't yet available to the general public...still being tested.

If you are coming FROM the airport to downtown you can go to the domestic terminal and buy a book of faresavers at the 7-11..then add fare to one ticket...I'd only do this if you plan to ride skytrain and use buses extensively..which isn't really worth it for downtown as everything is pretty well walkable. Again the $2.75 + $5 fare is concession regular adult fare is $9 ( 4+5 airport fee)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

I'm afraid there is some confusing info in T47's post. Sorry T.

If you are going to the airport on a weekend or holiday or after 6h30 pm on a weekday, you will pay $2.75. If you go to YVR on a weekday before 6h30 pm, the fare is $3.50. The concession fares are a little bit different and less than outlined above.

Coming from the airport, those fares are the same but the addfare is added on. If you get a Compass Card in the future, the $5 addfare will be taken off the card when you tap in to get on the train. There will be no exemption. The 3 stations closest to the airport will be programmed to take either $7.75 or $8.50 off the card. All the other stations will take regular fares.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Mufti the 2 zone fare is $4 not $3.50

translink.ca/en/…Single-Fares.aspx

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Thanks Tech boy..thought I was imagining the fare lol...and I am guilty of assuming OP was flying during working hours.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Ooops, sorry. I have a lot of back editing to do then. Am I thinking of the 2 zone fare from before the last round of increases?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Thank you all for the input. Yes, I will be traveling on a Sunday night, and using Translink's Website, boarding at Burrard st., disembark at Airport came to $2.75 (adult). However, website mentioned the $5 surcharge, and did not clarify it only applies to outbound from airport.

Furthermore, the website states Compass "will be coming in April", so I assumed it's in use already?

You, collectively, are more informative and accurate than Translink's Official Website!!

I will be traveling to YVR on a ? monthly basis; what is the most economical ticket option for me (say 2-3 round trips/month throughout the 3 zones)? The faresaver book? If so would you kindly provide some detail about this book or any other appropriate options? Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Compass Card has been delayed until summer. Not sure yet what part of summer that will be. They had quite a number of people doing a beta test of the system and sending reports about their experiences. One big complaint is that if you get on a bus and pay cash for a ticket, you can transfer to other buses but you can't use it to get on the skytrain, you have to buy a new ticket because the system is different. It may be that they have more problems to sort out than they thought before they can open to the public.

If you look on thie page: www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes.aspx ... you will see the zone map - yellow, red and green. Those are the zones. If you stay in one colour = 1 zone ticket, 2 colours = 2 zone ticket 3 colours = 3 zone tickets. On those weekends, weekdays after 6h30 you can go anywhere in the system on a 1 zone ticket for 90 minutes. A ticket is always good for 90 minutes.

I think for the usage you describe, Faresavers would work well. You buy the appropriate zone book of 10 from a vendor, you get a discount on the fare for doing so. They are not validated, so when you are ready to ride, you validate the ticket in the validating machine near the ticket vending machines. You just need to decide how many zones you need Faresavers for. On the zone map, for example, if you travelled from North Vancouver to the Airport, and stayed all in the red colour, you would be needing a 1 zone ticket. It would take forever, but you could stay in the red for 1 zone.

If you have 2-3 round trips a month, that's 6 tickets. You can keep the unvalidated tickets for later use. And there will be a grace period once Compass Card begins to continue to use them. At some point they will be discontinued but the value of any Faresavers will be accepted for transfer to a Compass Card. If you are talking about 3 zones, then you are talking about riding from Vancouver out to Surrey or maybe Delta during the day on weekdays.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

It's probably easiest to buy a book of 1 zone tickets. Cost will be 21.00 for 10 so a good savings. Vancouver to the airport is 2 zone so you'd need to do an add fare to bring the value up to 2 zone at the time of travel. If you plan to only use them between downtown and airport then you might want a 2 zone book just for convenience.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

MM&M and traveller, thank you both for very helpful replies. Upon further reading, the faresaver book for one zone would work for me as I will be traveling mostly in the city, with possible foraging into N. Van and Surrey which I could add fare.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sky train to YVR and Compass card questions

Something just caught my eye. In post 6 you talk about boarding at Burrard Station to go to the airport. Wrong skytrain line for travelling directly.. Canada Line uses Waterfront, Vancouver City Centre, Yaletown-Roundhouse and on south. Our other two skytrain lines use Waterfront, Burrard, Granville Station, Stadium, Main St and on east.

If Burrard Station is where you will be, you would need to 1) walk east along Georgia St to get to Granville Street and Van City Centre Station, or 2) ride the skytrain from Burrard north to Waterfront Station then walk to the Canada Line platform to transfer to the train to the airport.

Just want to touch base on that.