We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

Derby
Level Contributor
242 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

Hi everyone. My husband and I are travelling back to the UK on September 18th, and we are catching the ferry from Victoria Island to arrive at Tsawwassen at 12.15 lunchtime. Our flight back to the UK doesn't leave until 8pm, and the check in doesn't open until 4pm. So, do we have time to get to the airport from the ferry terminal, drop the car off, leave our luggage in checked baggage at the airport and pop into Vancouver on the Skytrain,. As the trip takes 25 minutes each way, we won't have a lot of time in Vancouver. Otherwise, is there anything to do around the airport or Richmond area while we still have the car? How long would it take from the ferry terminal to the airport as it's not rush hour!

Many thanks

Sally

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,085 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

2 options

From Tswassen ferry terminal to airport should be about 30 minutes. Drop car, leave bags at left luggage. ..another 1/2 hour so roughly by 1:30 you should be able to catch skytrain into town putting you downtown by 2 pm..spend a few hours exploring..walk the seawall, have a late lunch , then at about 4:30 catch the skytrain back to the airport.get luggage , check bags wait for flight

2 visit Steveston...about 1/2 hr from ferry, on the same island as airport so no traffic issues..excellent museum, lots of nice strolls along the river., good lunch spots..carry on to airport at about 4

tourismrichmond.com/things-to-do/steveston/

Derby
Level Contributor
242 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

Thanks very much traveller47, the visit to Steveston sounds way more relaxing than the trip to Vancouver, and then all we need to do is drop off the car at the airport and check in at 4. We don't want to be too stressed before a long flight back to the UK!

Sally

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

I often use Steveston as a destination before an afternoon flight. I've been known to check in at the airport, then head to Steveston for a couple of hours, then head back to the airport 45 minutes before the flight. Great suggestion.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

Just taking a look at the rest of your plans - have you done any research on the fees for the national park? Parks Canada has daily user fees. Tofino is a bit different from Banff and Jasper (the other famous destinations) because you don't need a park pass to stay in the towns or drive between them, so you may just want to go with daily use fees for those days you are in the park.

However, as you are planning what I like to call a "slow vacation" with time to relax and explore, you might actually benefit from the Discovery Pass if you use it to access the National Historic Sites as well. I just want to mention it so that you have some time to look at the two options and decide what makes the most sense to you.

If you decided that the Discovery Pass is worth it, it will get you into the Gulf of Georgia Cannery in Steveston as well as the McLean Mill in Port Alberni and Fort Rodd Hill just outside Victoria, as well as cover your user fees for all days in Pacific Rim.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,759 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

+1 for Steveston which can be found at the foot of #1 and #2 Roads in Richmond. Point of distinction, Steveston is on Lulu Island, the airport is on Sea Island, but both politically one jurisdiction. You will have to go through the Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River from the ferry terminal which may be congested and add 10-15 min to your drive time.

Do take 45 min to visit the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Heritage site. Shows you the ancient machinery and assembly line that processed salmon from off the fishboat to the tin can. It will be colder inside as the building is on stilts over the river.

The Charthouse is a view restaurant. Plenty of seafood on their menu. Dave's Fish and Chips away from the waterfront and Pajo's F&C right on the river are also worth considering.

Derby
Level Contributor
242 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

Thanks everyone for all your detailed replies, it's much appreciated! Steveston it is, and we will enjoy a delicious fish meal there, explore the historic sites and shop, before heading off to the airport. I doubt if we will be eating on the plane until 9 or 10 pm!

Vancouverite67, thanks for the info on the Discovery Pass, I will look this up. I will be sure to post a Trip Report (or two!!) when we are on Vancouver Island in September!

Thanks again,

Sally

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,085 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

Yes..the airport is on a different island but what I really meant to say is by heading to Steveston right from the ferry you will be through the Tunnel which is the usual congestion point well before rush hour, very simple to get to airport from Steveston. Also some really nice little shops there and some very good ice cream!

8. Re: Time to spare..what to do around Vancouver airport.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:16