We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

customs

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elkton, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
customs

Just curious we fly from Phila pa to Toronto Ca, there is a 1 hour lay over then we get out flight to Vancouver ca to board a princess cruise, when do we go thru customs? In toronto or Van couver?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: customs

Toronto. Do you have a single ticket for all your flights? or have you bought separate tix? If you are on a single ticket and bought from the airline, not a 3rd party booking agency, it will be considered a legal ticket. An hour seems a risk though.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: customs

The 1 hour in Toronto is a nightmare. I have done it 2 times with carryon and still only made connection once. Daughter did it twice and didn't connect either time. If your plane is delayed put of PA at all you could have a real problem. You need to clear customs, pick up luggage and recheck luggage. If mot on one ticket as Mufti has noted then problem can be worse. I'd suggest you look at changing your ticket. FWIW I know from personal experience that in the past Air Canada has said

"No problem with one hour" ..well they are wrong. Even if the airline i sists you'll be fine insist right back that you want a change...unless you have lots of time before your cruise. The only good thing is thete are lots of flights between Toronto and Vancouver

You might ask why our family did this more than once? Sometimes limited choices...flying on points to get to school etc..if you can avoid this, do!

Edited: 08 June 2014, 19:49
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,103 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: customs

Hi Debbie;

You will clear Customs at your first port of entry into Canada, Toronto in your case. Toronto to Vancouver will be a domestic flight.

I too believe that 1 hour for an inbound international flight is too short.

Best Regards

Edited: 08 June 2014, 23:50
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: customs

If you have purchased a ticket from a travel agency which is a third party, if there is a problem, the airline will still look after you, it is their responsibility to look after you. Not really sure what the poster above meant by a "legal ticket." Since you going on a cruise, if you could arrive the day before you would be much better off. There are a multitude of problems that can arise flying in on the day of departure, delayed flight from your city, delayed flight from Toronto, misconnections. Same day arrival is not a good idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: customs

Mufti is absolutey right about a "legal" ticket. It's either a legal connection (enough time given to make your connection). An illegal connection is when you are not given enough time to make the connection....based on service standards.

6. Re: customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:16