We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

UK
10 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

Hello,

My husband and I are coming from the UK at the end of June for an American / Canadian roadtrip starting and ending in Vancouver. We plan to pick up a rental car at Vancouver airport and then drive down to Seattle. Does anyone know what visas we will need and what will speed up the border process by doing in advance?

Also, how long should we factor in for this?

Thanks in advance!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

You will need an I-94 visa waiver which you will obtain at the border. it can't be done ahead of time. Will cost $6 I believe. Plan on this taking about 1/2 hour plus border wait time which can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours depending on time of day. If you put I94 in the search box above you'll get some recent up dates.

On another note have you confirmed that your mileage will be unlimited once you cross the border into the US? Many rental agencies here charge mileage once you cross the border so be sure to clarify this before you take the car. They will have a transponder on the car to verify where you are so you can't "fudge" this. Also hope you've not rented with Budget. No matter who you've done the rental with be sure to take many photos of the rental car before you leave and then on return.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

Better you cfm info direct rather than a forum: cbp.gov/travel/…i-94-instructions

If the border is not busy the registration, payment and fingerprinting should be under 30 minutes after you arrive at the customs kiosk. Arriving at the kiosk can sometimes mean a bit of a wait. There are phone apps like Border Check that will tell you the kiosk wait.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

Thanks for your replies. I will check the car hire details now!

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

Thanks for your replies. I will check the car hire details now!

5. Re: Vancouver to Seattle - What visas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:17