We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

Hello,

I am a female travelling with another female friend and we are looking at renting a condo on W Cordova between Cambie and Abbott in Gastown. Can anyone tell me whether this is a safe location? I know we should avoid E Hastings and Carrall and E Hastings and Main and it seems awfully close.

Thanks in advance!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

Hi dupv ~

I think that might be in the W building on Cordova? If so that is just fine. Nothing much on Cordova St compared to Water St to the north. The W building condos have another exit onto Hastings St. which might make you feel uncomfortable.

All that area is safe, just uncomfortable (along Hastings between Abbott and Gore) for people who are not unemployed, living on the street, mentally unwell, drug addicted, or permanently disabled and unable to work. Those folks can't relate to such circumstances. You will find street people all over downtown Vancouver and may be approached for spare change at any time. Just keep walking.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,946 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

Mufti explained it well.

It's safe. In fact, there's an SFU campus downstairs, and that whole area is a bit of a hipster mecca with some great coffee shops, restaurants, and clothing boutiques immediately nearby. Yes, Hastings/Main is close... but even if you walked there, you'd still be safe. You'd just see a lot of street people. It's amazing how in Vancouver you can be one block and be in an affluent area, and just around the corner, you'll be in a really impoverished area. That's especially the reality of Gastown - one of the city's most hip restaurant and cocktail lounge areas.

The Woodwards building is great, by the way. You'll have fun there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

<<All that area is safe, just uncomfortable>> Bingo. When, on occasion, dangerous things do happen in Vancouver (and we had probably one of the worst situations ever this past week with police running around with guns drawn trying to take down a shooting suspect) there really doesn't seem to be one area that is prone to this sort of activity. The event this week started in probably one of the nicest areas in the city, so you just can't really tell. Good news is that it almost never happens and Vancouver is a very safe city. You can walk through the downtown eastside and you won't have any real problems (panhandlers probably, but nothing major) but it *is* uncomfortable for some. Others (like that wonderful family from New Zealand who were here for Christmas recently) will make a point of going into that area and giving some of their time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

Yes I'm pretty sure it's the Woodwards condos (address is 128 W Cordova) Thanks to both of you I really appreciate your advice!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,946 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

You'll be happy you stayed there. :) You might see a weirdo or two, but it's a very cool part of the city to stay in. I would stay there without hesitation. In fact, I'm going to a party in that very building next week... travelling to and from there alone, as a single female, and I won't think anything of it. The area is full of people - lots of students, tourists, sure, a few weirdos and homeless people, but it's safe. Enjoy Vancouver!

Edited: 12 June 2014, 20:19
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

Thank you so much Robyn and others!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
521 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

I walk in that neighbourhood often, alone as a single female (although my kids say I look scary). Also, I live in the neighbourhood of the recent shooting incident. Of course I still walk around; it's my neighbourhood! What's the alternative; stay inside? Hardly an option, IMO.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

yes it is pretty safe. It is when you get a a couple blocks east where it gets a little more sketchy.

This area has changed a lot. Still needs cleaning up, but ok for the most part.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 21:45
9. Re: W Cordova bewteen Cambie and Abbott - is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16