We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

I think I have looked too long at this, and now I'm overwhelmed with options! It's our first time visiting Vancouver, and we have 2.5 days before we leave on a cruise in early August. We are a family of 5 with three boys, 6, 8, & 11. My husband has a muscle disease, so long walking and hiking is out. Can someone recommend a nice hotel in the $300-$500 range that will work for our family in terms of interesting and convenient location, plus the can't miss tours and sites?

Thanks so much!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

Hi whitneymac ~

Have a look at Sutton Place. It's very central, on bus routes to anywhere. A cab will cost in the range of about $12-17 within downtown Van.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d155846…

It will be very busy here during cruise ship season and some of the hotels I checked seem to be booked out, or are more than $500.

You might look into West Coast Sightseeing and Landsea Tours as ways to see the sights through day tours. I avoid mentioning the HOHOs because they are crushed with lineups to get on in high season.

Stanley Park, Granville Island, Gastown. One day.

Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain and maybe one more attraction. One day.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

Sutton came to my mind too. The Grande Résidence is all suites that might fit a group of five. …suttonplace.com/La_Grande_Residence.htm

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
146 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

My family stayed at the all-suites Westin Grand last week. We liked the property and found that hotel to be conveniently located.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

Hello,

As a resident of Vancouver for my entire life I will help you plan your Vancouver trip. It is unfortunate that hiking is out of the picture because nature is my specialty but i'll try helping you out.

1) Flyover Canada - your sons will love this attraction and it is located at Canada Place (the place your cruise ship will be), the attraction is misleading and says it is 30minutes when in actuality the show itself is 15minutes but worth it nonetheless.

2) Metropolis mall - hop onto the skytrain from waterfront station (tickets are $2.75 each) and go to metrotown station for one of the biggest malls in BC,

3) Lonsdale Quay/Seabus - the seabus is a fun little trip all in itself and costs only $2.75 each and comes every 15minutes. The boat will take you to Lonsdale Quay where you can buy lots of yummy food from local shops as well as local crafts from the outdoor market.

4) Granville Island - pretty much a larger Lonsdale Quay

5) Playland - Vancouvers only theme park, tons of fun.

Things to avoid:

Capilano suspension bridge - too pricey for what it is and you pretty much get the exact same thing for free at Lynn Canyon.

Science world - your sons will not have fun here. Too many of their displays involve you standing there and reading.. not much interaction.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

Just a heads up. Both Metropolis and Lonsdale Quay are two zone fares from downtown Vancouver. So you would have to pay $4 pp on weekdays until 6h30 pm.

6. Re: Overwhelmed! Looking for hotel & itinerary- 2.5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16