We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

Hi,

I'm flying into Vancouver early August and staying for 9 days. I want to spend a few days in Vancouver, maybe a day trip to Whistler and then perhaps go to Vancouver Island. Ideally we don't want to have to travel around from hotel to hotel too much as we prefer to settle ourselves in. Obviously Vancouver island is a bit much for a day-trip though.

How long would you recommend staying in each place? Would Victoria be the best place to stay? If I did something like 5 days Vancouver (incl whistler) then went to Victoria for a few days, would I need to come back to Vancouver before getting the flight home?

We love sight seeing, photographing beautiful places but aren't really into adventure sports. We haven't planned on hiring a car but could do if needed ( can you rent them for a day?!)

Thanks in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

Hi Csonic ~

Will repost my reply from your other thread here.

You would not need a car for Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria or Seattle. Or a car to go between. Let's say you will have 2 weeks, because you haven't specified.

3 nights Vancouver

Greyhound or Pacific Coach Lines, 2.5 hours to ...

2 nights Whistler

Greyhound to Vancouver's Pacific Central Station, 2.5 hours. Catch Pacific Coach Lines, 4 hours journey to ...

2 nights Victoria.

Rent a car for 5 hours drive, more because of all the things to see, to ...

3 nights Tofino

Drive back to Victoria, drop car

1 night Victoria

Victoria Clipper downtown Vic to downtown Seattle, 3 hours to ...

3 nights Seattle

Amtrak Cascades, 4 hours to Vancouver, possibly fly out late the same day, possibly one night Vancouver to fly out next day.

--------

Clearly over two weeks, but the infrastructure is there. Research where you want to go, or even how much of this you want to include, and play with the itinerary configurations. You could easily apply 4 nights to Vancouver, 3 nights to Victoria, 4 nights to Tofino.

The first Monday in Sept is Labour Day long weekend. Very busy on roads and ferries, although just fine if on commercial transport.

www.greyhound.ca

www.pacificcoach.com

www.clippervacations.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

Thank you for your advice. What is Tofino like? We aren't surfers or into sitting on a beach all day- what is there to do there?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,125 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

Tofino is for walking the beach, walking the hikes through the rain forest, possibly taking a tour for whales and bears, or even better, over to the hot spings!

It's about Ucluelet and the Wild Pacific Trail, a visit to the lighthouse, the aquarium there, small but hands on and different.

The Eagle Aerie Gallery in Tofino for a look at some Roy Vicker's art work, eating fresh bread from the bakery in Tofino (cash only).

There is tons to see on the drive TO Tofino as well.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154944-i206-k75127…

Read through this post from just last month about the two towns.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 20:25
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

Tofino is gorgeous! What is there to do? Walk and look at scenery, go on boat trips and short walks to a beach or through a rainforest. Its rare that you would get a day where its comfortable to sit on the beach all day. We had a day at long beach when we were there, but we had fleecy jackets with us!

I did meet someone who didn't think much of Tofino, so I guess its not for everyone. Perhaps take a look at the tourism websites and determine which area would suit you best.

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

http://www.tourismtofino.com/

http://www.visitparksvillequalicumbeach.com/

5. Re: Vancouver/ Vancouver island/ whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:17