We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Hello! I have a few questions. I'm starting to plan my family week long vacation to Vancouver for the Grey Cup (the last week of November, maybe into first week of December). I've been to Vancouver before, but my parents have never been. We're allocating one day for the game, spending three days in Vancouver and then thinking of adding a day trip (or two) to explore the area.

Is there anything we should specifically visit in Vancouver during this time? Is there anything I should avoid completely because it's off peak season and not worth it? My parents are not outdoorsy (one has difficulty walking long distances) and we do not like visiting museums, but we normally enjoy visiting scenic (aka touristy) sights or exploring neighbourhoods.

For the day trips, my parents specifically want to see Victoria. After doing some preliminary research I'm wondering if there is enough to see that is "in season" - Butchart Gardens doesn't seem to offer much in November on a weekday and there aren't any whale excursions that operate then. Should we think about visiting Whistler instead? Are there other side trips to other cities/towns we should look into?

Final question: does anyone know where the Grey Cup festivities be located? I know it probably hasn't been announced yet but does anyone remember where it was held last time?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Here is info on the Grey Cup:

http://www.102greycupfestival.ca

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

A day trip to Victoria is a very long day, but doable. I would suggest you look at the Pacific Coach lines, as they take you right onto the ferry, and into down town Victoria. They even have a bus back to the ferry terminal that stops at Butchart Gardens before continuing on to Swartz Bay for the ferry back to Vancouver.

pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater…

Edited: 13 July 2014, 21:11
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,697 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

November is a very dreary time to be in Vancouver, cool/cold and raining.

Explore the Things to Do tab in the green bar at the top. Look at Granville Island and some of Stanley Park. Maybe the Vancouver Trolley HOHO bus.

Victoria would be better as an overnight, but the popular tourist draws will not be up and running in November. Things like the buskers at the Inner Harbour and the harbour water taxi tours, closed for the winter.

Some Christmas attractions will be just appearing.

From Nov 28 - Gingerbread Lane at the Hyatt: vanfoodies.com/2013/…

From Nov 24 - Vancouver Christmas Market: http://vancouverchristmasmarket.com

From Nov 27 - Bright Nights Train in Stanley Park: vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/bright…

From Dec 10 - Festival of Lights @ Van Dusen Gardens: vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/festiv…

Edited: 13 July 2014, 23:10
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Thank you tdsuperstar, it says that the street festival will be located at the Convention Centre. So I'm guessing that the Convention Centre would be the centre of the festivities and might have enough room to house some of the team parties.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Thank you J0an123 for the link I'll definitely look into going with them. Although the trip you suggest with the stop at the gardens on the way back to Vancouver sadly stops running at the end of September. I had originally thought of spending two nights in Victoria but got discouraged looking at things then realizing they were out of season. The Holiday lights tour at the gardens looks interesting, if I stretch our visit past the game.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Thank you MuftiVancouver for the links and info to some of the Christmas attractions. I realize it is a dreary time to visit. I just hope there is at least one clear day so we can go to Grouse Mountain and see the city. We'll probably spend a night in Victoria so that it isn't so tight a visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
657 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

Are there particular aspects of Victoria which are cause for your parents' desire to visit (i.e.,guide your program planning). In the off-peak season, the major hotels will have promotional rates and bundles. Do check for those social-marketing sites such as Groupon, TeamBuy or TravelZoo. If your group has an interest in foodie things, Taste Victoria offers private tours which combine walking and luxury van transport. Our tour included tastings at a distillery and a cidery. Overnight plan is best.

8. Re: Off peak season visit (Grey Cup)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 06:15