We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

My husband and I want to take a week trip to Seattle, Vancouver, and Coeur d'Alene but we want to camp. We are thinking of visiting October 1-October 6. Cany anyone tell me if most campgrounds or all campgrounds will be closed already by that time? If you know of any that are open, can you please post here? I'm worried I won't be able to find any open campgrounds. Is there usually snow on the ground by then - is that why campgrounds are already shut down? I'm coming from snowy Minnesota but our campgrounds are usually open till the end of October! Thanks in advance for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

Vancouver shares the same climate as Seattle - even in the middle of winter, you're not going to get snow on the ground - maybe a day or two. :) Early October is the tail end of summer - people are still at the beach. Later October is when it's fall and our rainy season begins to show its face. Minnesota has a colder climate than Vancouver.

What kind of campgrounds are you seeking? When you say Vancouver, do you really mean in the city, or do you mean within an hour or two drive from Vancouver? There are RV parks open year round in and around the city, but you have to travel further, about an hour or so outside o the city - Golden Ears Provincial Park, Porteau Cove, etc. before you find campgrounds.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 22:27
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

Vancouver itself, gets very little or no snow during winter, even less likely at the beginning of October.

There are no campgrounds in Vancouver proper that I know of. There are some outside of Vancouver, the closet being http://www.capilanoriverrvpark.com just over and actually practically UNDER Lions Gate Bridge.

It will be very urban camping. You are surrounded by roads and a huge shopping mall. The Capilano River though is nice. They are open in October.

Another one in the suburb of Burnabyhttp://www.bcrv.com I don't know anything about it, but they are also open year round.

You're seem to be assuming the campgrounds are closed, but I haven't a clue what makes you thing that. Have you found some to your liking that are closed?

How far from the city are you willing to go?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

The closest Provincial camp ground is in Squamish and it closes Sept 15.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

Porteau Cove is a PP and a bit closer to Van than Squamish. About 40-45 min drive from Van.

Stephanie, your problem is not going to be snow in October, it's going to be rain.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

I have camped at Porteau Cove in October (usually the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend) and also in November. It's a lovely spot!!

6. Re: Any campgrounds open in Vancouver in early October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:17