We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

Tasmania Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

Our daughter is travelling alone and would like advice on what it would cost and how long it would take to travel via either bus or train from Vancouver to Banff (September to October). Is it too late into the season to be seeking casual work in Banff at that time (hospitality or teaching)?

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

The TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Vancouver : Getting to the Canadian Rockies describes in detail every option available to your daughter:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c13545/Vancou…

She could use the Greyhound bus. For some reason I am having trouble reaching their website at

http://www.greyhound.ca

It must be a temporary glitch, because I have accessed their website many times before. My recollection is that the trip from Vancouver to Banff would take at least 15 hours. If your daughter was to ride a Greyhound bus, it would be more pleasant for her if she was to stop half way.

An option that probably would be more fun is to use Moose Travel Network's hop-on / hop-off bus, if it's still operating at that time of year (which would require further research to find out). For example, she could do their 2-day "Road Runner" trip, which would stop overnight at the Shuswap Lake (I'm guessing in the town of Salmon Arm). The fare for that costs C$125.

http://www.moosenetwork.com

The only train between Vancouver and Banff is the very expensive Rocky Mountaineer. I am confident that it is outside of your daughter's price range.

I will address the work issue in the next message ............

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

WORK-RELATED QUESTIONS

Some posters who know a lot about the Canadian Rockies may see your question here on the Vancouver forum. However, I believe you will invite more responses if you pose the work question on the Banff, Alberta, Canada forum.

HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY

The TripAdvisor page entitled Inside Banff : Link and Learn has links to some excellent websites on Banff:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c4073/Banff:A…

A couple of the websites to which links are provided are addressed specifically to people who want to work in Banff.

One of them is called Banff Life:

http://www.banfflife.com/

According to that website, work is readily available during the summer tourist season (May - September). Work again is available in the ski season (December - March). The website states that work is slow in October - November.

Work on the ski slopes is dependent on when the snow falls. The website talks of people applying for jobs in mid-October and then waiting 4 - 5 weeks until they can actually start working (a waiting period during which they do not earn money annd during which they have to be self-supporting).

The Banff Life website states that accommodation is expensive (which I can well believe) and that workers pretty much have to share accommodation with 1 or 2 others.

TEACHING

I believe your daughter has a snowball's hope in hell of finding a teaching job in Banff. For a start, it's quite a lengthy process for a foreign teacher to get accreditation in Alberta. Secondly, my friends who are teachers, even those who are born and bred Canadians, have had to start out as supply teachers and gradually work their way up to permanent, fulltime positions. I'm talking about women who had taken a few years off to raise children and who were re-entering the work force when they were forty-ish. Your daughter would be in somewhat the same position as them.

Well, actually she wouldn't even be in the same position as them. I'm guessing she's coming to Canada on a BUNAC visa, which gives her the right to work in Canada for 1 year. I cannot see her temporary status being helpful in finding a professional-level job.

If your daughter is serious about teaching in Canada, I do know there are 1-year exchange programs whereby Canadian teachers work in Australia and Australian teachers work in Canada. If your daughter really wants to do that, it might be worthwhile investigating if there is a program like that between Canada and New Zealand.

A travel discussion forum is not really the best place to ask relocation-related questions. An expat forum is a better place to do that. One such forum that I happen to know of is British Expats at

http://www.britishexpats.com

You can post there even if you are not British. The people who post there are familiar with issues like getting accreditation for this or that type of work.

More in next post ....................

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

I feel very uncomfortable responding to someone (your daughter) through a third party (you). I would feel very much more comfortable if your daughter had posed these questions herself and if I was responding to her directly.

If your daughter does not have a computer and Internet access of her own, perhaps she could find those facilities somewhere, like a public library. Even if that is not possible, perhaps she could borrow your computer and ask these questions.

In a previous post you said your daughter was 24 years old. I have two sons in the same general age group. One is in his mid 20s and the other is in his early 20s. I would not dream of asking these kinds of questions on their behalf. If your daughter is to be in the least bit ready to undertake such a trip, she should be doing the research for the trip. At least that is my opinion.

Anyway, aside from the dynamics between you and your daughter, there also are my feelings as a poster on these kinds of forums. I previously have provided responses to questions that had been posed by third parties, e.g., by people asking on behalf of their elderly parents. What I have found from my past responses is that, if I am not communicating directly with the person who will be undertaking the trip, the person who is asking the questions on their behalf does not know enough about the travellers' preferences to questions that are specific enough for that person's needs.

I have provided a response and then the third party has come back and said, "Yes, but my parents actually want such-and-such." It has taken many questions and answers -- even more than the usual number of questions and answers -- to tease out the details of what the travellers want.

Having said that, I wish your daughter the best of luck.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

Sorry, Tassietourist, I posted in haste and got you mixed up with someone else who recently asked questions about coming to Canada from New Zealand.

However, I believe most of what I said in my previous messages is applicable, even if you're in Australia rather than New Zealand.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,720 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

Your daughter will probably not have any difficulty finding tourism related work in Banff in September. There are still a lot of visitors to the Rockies at that time of year, and a lot of the staff leave just before or around Labour Day weekend (first weekend in September) to go back to college or university, leaving the remaining staff swamped. Young people not in school (like my 20 y/o daughter here in Jasper) quite commonly work multiple jobs or lots of overtime hours during September.

6. Re: Train or bus travel from Vancouver to Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 18:20