We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

If a hotel has no in room internet service, or it is so poor as to be unusable, is there a way in Vancouver to get a decent wifi connection inside my room? Such as by a purchase with an internet service provider, e.g. Telus, Shaw? I plan to be in the city for up to several months.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

I think you would have to talk the hotel to make those arrangements. I honestly don't know. I was going to suggest heading to the nearest Starbuck's, but if you are staying for several months, that isn't a viable option.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,299 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

When you look at hotels (green menu bar up top) read reviews for any comments on wifi service in the hotels. Also google "hotel name + wifi service" and you will very likely get results where the introductory remarks underneath each result may tell you the cost of the wifi. The 3 and 4* hotels seem to have free wifi. The 4 and 5* hotels seem to charge big bucks for wifi.

Have you found any hotels without wifi? I can't think of any hotel here that would not offer wifi, free or at a cost. Have you looked at the cell phone article in the Top Questions to the right of the page?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

The only hotels i was interested in all advertize free wifi in their rooms & lobby etc. But after reading hundreds of TA reviews it is evident the in room internet connections were, on average, poor, & often non existent.

I will need a solid reliable reasonably fast, high speed, connection for laptop work for 10 hours a day, hence the inquiry re paying a service provider. I am no tech wizard by any means, so wondering if this is possible. Does Shaw, Telus, Rogers or another company have some pay service to give me reliable internet in my hotel room? Otherwise i may have to continually change rooms and or hotels until i find one.

BTW i came across this TA report re one of the hotels (Barclay on Robson):

"Wifi didn't work in our room so we had to buy a wifi extender and plug it into the ceiling near the router. So if you stay in room 323 or similar, this is how you can get yourself a wifi connection from inside your room. 27 January 2014"

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

In dozens of hotel stays over the past several years (all over, not just in Vancouver), I can only think of one hotel that had bad internet service (and it was in Vancouver) - the Sylvia. The first time we stayed there (May 2013), they told me they had repairs/upgrades scheduled after the weekend; it wasn't just our room because we had friends also staying there, in another section of the hotel, and they also were having problems... very slow, connection constantly dropping etc. The second time we stayed there (October 2013), the internet service was the same as before. I love the location of the hotel but if stable wifi was a necessity, I would not stay there.

I have noticed at times that some hotel internet connections get noticeably slower in the evenings - presumably when there are more people connected to their network.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

Yes, you can buy an internet stick from most providers. For example Rogers offers the following mobile service options:

https:/…mobile-internet

You can also use the wifi extender noted in your review quote above however you do need to marry this extender to the closest router and I believe have access to the router's password, but not a techie so you need someone more knowledgable to provide connection advice.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,762 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

hi

what you need to find is a hotel with a wired connection using a CAT5 cable. the extender will not do much for getting a faster connection; it will only give you a more reliable connection that does not drop off. If the system is such that too many users slows down the network connection, extenders will not help. You need talk to the Tel co to find out if the usb stick they have will give you the speed you are looking for.

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
897 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

Don't many hotels offer in room wired internet as an option?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,539 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

There is no need for an internet stick. All mobile phones within the last 5 years can be tethered. You just need a SIM card with data plan and a compatible phone. Note that 3G frequencies in Canada are different from those in Thailand. But if you have an iPhone for instance, you are good to go. If you choose to buy a new device, get a WiFi hotspot instead. For provider and plan choices, please post on a mobile phone discussion board such as howardforums

9. Re: how to get internet service/connection in hotel room?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17