We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd week of October - how bad is the rain, honestly?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3rd week of October - how bad is the rain, honestly?

I'm thinking about meeting a friend in Vancouver from October 19th-23rd. I hear it's rainy around that time, but how bad is it? Is it like a cold, miserable, all day downpour kind of thing? The ticket wouldn't cost me much, so I'm debating whether going then is worth the gamble. I'm used to NY weather, if that helps at all.

Also, I've never been and this is a spur of the moment invitation, so any recs on what to do if I go would be appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3rd week of October - how bad is the rain, honestly?

It's pretty difficult to predict. It might be dry but overcast and cool. It might shower, it might rain. Average stats say: 10C average temp. Lows of 7C, highs of 13C. 14 days of October with rain. Average 120 mm of rain. That rain could come in dribs and drabs or it could come all in one week with the rest of the month being dry.

Layered clothing is the key, with a waterproof jacket and hood. Good solid toed shoes.

Stanley Park, Granville Island, Grouse Mountain, if the top is not covered in cloud. Gastown. Robson St and Pacific Centre mall for shopping. Commercial Drive and Main St for alternative shopping.

Check out the Top Questions to the right side of the page. And use the tabs up top, in particular the Things to Do to see what else appeals to you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3rd week of October - how bad is the rain, honestly?

Well if last year is an indication, it was sunny everyday, here is a link to historical weather, you can put in any PAST date, day, month and year to see what it was like. You will see it is set for 2014, change the year to 2013 and put in the dates in October you wish to see.

worldweatheronline.com/Vancouver-weather-his…

Edited: 31 August 2014, 14:50
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,608 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3rd week of October - how bad is the rain, honestly?

The weather can turn at any point up to about the second week of November is the latest I've ever seen. From about the second week of October, you are playing a bit of roulette. If its a nice autumn, it could be really lovely - sunshine, t-shirts and maybe even shorts during the day, light pants and cardigans in the evening, lots of outdoor activities.

If the rains start, it will most likely be drizzly and grey. I probably won't pour all the time, but you'll need a coat when you go out and it could just spit all day. For locals, we try not to let it stop us too much and just get outside anyway.

Its a great time to come and view the famous Pacific salmon run and perhaps see the bears and eagles that come to feed on them.

Personally, I'd say go for it. Just pack extra shoes (because wet feet are no fun) and a decent Gore-Tex (or equivalent) rain coat and carry on.

4. Re: 3rd week of October - how bad is the rain, honestly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16