We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

We are going to be in Vancouver at the end of May for the Inside Passage Cruise and are staying at the Rosedale on Robson - is this a good hotel? we have booked a 2 bedroom suite as there are 4 adults.. We have been getting quotes for a 2 week car hire after the cruise and Alamo informed us they had nothing available (we are dropping off in Calgary) and referred us to National Car Hire. The quote from them was almost half the price of a quote from Hertz for the same period - are they a reputable car hire firm - I am always doubtful when there is such a big difference.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Rosedale on Robson
Rosedale on Robson
1,731 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

Canscot

I have stayed at the Rosedale a few times in fact my wife is over there this weekend with the kids.It is in a good location and they are good size suites for the money.It is not 5 star either.I have rented from National Rental a few times as well and have found them to be as good as any car rental company,no worries mate.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

IIRC National was formerly known as Avis-a friend of mine regularly rents from them and speaks very highly of the company.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,794 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

National was formerly Tilden Rent-a-car (my neighbour owns the franchise here). They are a reputable company, have been around for a long long time.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,915 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

national and Alamo are now under the same ownership. All part of the big four companies in car rentals. Do some research before you come in regards to if your car insurance will cover you while in Canada. Tjhe insurance is one precaution you need to look into before you arrive. The other buyer beware is the offer to prepay the gas then return the car empty. This seldom is a good deal for you as you know you will never return a car totally empty so the car renter gains. There is a gas station right before you get to the Calgary airport so decline that offer, and tell them you will fill the car at the end of the rental.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

National is a reputable firm. No worries there. Yes, check your insurance--your own auto policy may have a rider on it for rental cars (as mine does), or you might have credit card coverage.

davidgmg is right that for Calgary you will not need prepaid gas. I sometimes buy it when I am unfamiliar with an airport, but it does take a bit of juggling to make sure the tank is mostly empty! In Calgary, the gas station is right near the terminal so you won't have a problem finding it.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

Thanks to all who replied about National Car Hire and also about the prepaid gas - really helpful. Thank you also to "islandrockin" who replied on both counts - this is our first venture onto Trip advisor forums and it has been really helpful.

Thanks again

7. Re: National Car Hire & Rosedale on Robson Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:17