We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
111 posts
14 reviews
Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

I will be in the Vancouver area for one week in August. Trying to decide between 4 nights (3 full days) in Whistler/3 nights (2 full days) in downtown Vancouver OR 3 nights (2 full days) in Whistler/4 nights (3 full days) in downtown Vancouver. It seems like I couldn't go wrong either way. However, because some of the sights are more spread out in the Squamish/Whistler area that I would like to see, maybe having the extra day in Whistler will work out better.

Also, I have reservations at The Crystal in Whistler. Tripadvisor reviews are generally positive, although it seems right in the middle of things (i.e., maybe too noisy of a location?). Does anyone have any experience with this hotel in whistler? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,640 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

Hi,

The balance will depend on what you want to do in Whistler. Vancouver is good for 4 nights but if you want to do some of the summer activities in Whistler, you will need to allow time. Peak to Peak takes 1.5 hours round trip from the base at Whistler. More if you stay up top in the alpine to hike or east at one of the restos. There's ATV rentals, cycling, mountain biking, Michael Allen's bear tours (best early morning or late evening), zip lining. All take time. You can see quite a few attractions on the way to Whistler. See the Top Question in the right sidebar in the GETTING OUT OF TOWN section (must use the full version of the website.)

If these are of interest to you, then 3 nights Whistler and 4 nights Vancouver would work well.

Any hotel in the Whistler Village will get the parties. It is there you will find the pubs and bars getting out well after midnight, the alcohol infused patios very busy and "happy." Whistler North is about 5 min walk to Whistler Village. You would find less late night noise there. And yes, Crystal Lodge is right on the main pedestrian drag of the Village. Called the Village Stroll.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

We stayed at Summit Lodge (2014 July) Close enough to get to the stroll quickly, far enough removed for a peaceful late night. I preferred it to Whistler North where we've stayed before. Have also stayed right on the stroll..didn't find it that noisy.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
506 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

It really depends on what you like to do. If you like hiking and nature, you could easily spend 3-4 full days in Whistler and the surrounding areas. If not, then 1-2 days is plenty. As for Vancouver, you can easily fill 3-4 days here sightseeing in downtown and the surrounding areas. But if the city thing bores you, then 2 days in Vancouver should be good. So really, it depends on what you want to see and do during your time here.

Re your question on accommodation, if you want a quieter place, you might want to see what accommodations are available in the Upper Village. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the Village, but it's a nice walk. I prefer the upper village to the main village because it is so much quieter, and attracts a more sedate crowd. The Village is a gong show (in my opinion anyway) especially on the weekends because Whistler tends to attract hen and stag parties and these people all seem to stay in the village. Village North is a nice compromise between the village and the upper village.

Edited: 14 May 2016, 22:15
Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

Hi - we are also here for a week in Sept - with 4N in Whistler followed by 3N in Vancouver. ... We have booked a one way rental with Avis - so will leave Vancouver say 10am and do the Squamish sight seeing (leisurely) along the way.... reaching Whistler say around 6pm and return the car.

May be you can think of something similar?---- I was advised of this option by the experts on this forum....and seems like a great idea...

In Whistler we may do the Green River rafting trip....will be open in Sept.

My 2 cents worth.......

Thx

leeds
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

HI All, I'll be visiting end of this month for 8 nights. Thinking 3 nights Vancouver, 3 nights in Whistler.. then somewhere else maybe before heading back to the Vancouver to fly home? Any suggestions for the last 2 nights? Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,640 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

Hi Sarah ~

Generally, it is a good idea to start your own thread by using the Ask a Question button. Replies will get confusing if we try to discuss two different trips in one thread.

7. Re: Balancing Time In Whistler Vs. Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2017, 05:17