We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting and salmon fishing in April

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Our son has found a job in an exchange program and will start working in Courtenay in May. So we planed to accompany him there and spend 10 days to 2 weeks on Vancouver Island. We plan to arrive in Comox airport from Switzerland and take a rental car from the airport. Our main interests are: having an impression of the place (first time in Canada), if possible bear and whale watching and - very important - fishing. We are looking for a good place to catch our first salmon ever and hope April is not too early. All recommendations are welcome. Thank you.

Beautiful Vancouver...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

I am pretty certain that salmon never run in spring.

They only run in the fall. I think you will be out of luck catching them that early.

And the whales are not really around at that point either.

I would check out http://www.aprilpoint.com/

or www.aprilpoint.com/fishing/reel-reports/

or http://www.painterslodge.com/

They are all first class resorts in Campbell River and can give you some advice. I am not certain when they open.

If you want to catch salmon, come back in the later summer.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Thank you tryingtogetaway, I already checked with those websites before, they are open at this time. I was just looking for another possibility, as we would like to stay more out of the crowd. As for the time of year, this is fix as he starts his job on May 1st and the only time we can travel is out of season in our home country, as we are working in a tourist place as well. We still hope to catch the first one!

Beautiful Vancouver...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Well, one place that is really nice to stay at is www.pacificplaygrounds.com/facilities.htm

They have really nice cottages right on the river and it is a super nice facility. It will be virtually empty that time of year but really, really nice.

They could probably give you more ideas as well. They are off the beaten path, yet clean, friendly and fun place to be. We love it there.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Thank you tringtogetaway, your advise is very comforting. We had found pacific playground and have already placed an inquiry there and had a very friendly reply. We did just not know if it really is as good as it looks on the website. We will definitifely go for it if you recommend it. thank you very much.

Beautiful Vancouver...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

I hope you have a good time. Pac. Play. is not super fancy... just nice and clean and friendly and not crowded. So don't expect to see a 5 star facility. But we always enjoy it there.

Have fun!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Hedy

There is fishing avail in April and good fishing.Google Quatsino Lodge.It is a bit of a drive from Comox but a good drive and beautiful country.Hope this helps

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Thank you Islandrocking for your tip. Another question: in one of the other posts, you recommend someone to skip the planed Gold River part of her itinerary. We had planed on visiting there as well, as we supposed it might be good river fishing there. Is it worth doing it? Traveling in April with perhaps bad weather (we do not mind, we are fishers), is there a risk with closed roads and ravines etc. We are living in the mountains, and our roads sometimes are closed.

Thank you everybody for your tips.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Hedy

The other post was a different scenario ,she was looking to drive to Gold River just to view the town etc.As far as fishing goes,it is one of the best places you could choose to go for river and stream fishing.For starters you could view thelodgeatgoldriver.com and there are others.Not cheap but ,georgeous scenery and great fishing.You could also take the MV Uchuck up Muchalet Inlet and Nootka Sound to Friendly cove.Stunning scenery and fabulous history.

If you were to go to Quatsino sound,I would suggest stopping or staying at Telegraph Cove although whale watching doesnt start untill May it still is a very interesting place.There are 2 websites I would reccommend telgraphcoveresort.com

Weather.

April can be great or nasty.Typically it is a rainy month,but can be quite mild,but on the northern part of the Island it is colder.

I wouldnt think you would in any way be snowed in some where.The rains we get usually come from the Pacific systems that tend to be milder.

Hope this info is helpful

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

For Salmon fishing locally try http://www.blueorcacharters.com

April can be surprisingly good.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting and salmon fishing in April

Thank you Islandrocking and Sam Salmon

We look forward with anticipation to our holidays. From all what I see, you are living in a perfect plact (we are living in a fabulous place as well, but a change is very welcome, as we have very very long winters here). Thank you very much for your help

Hedy