We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Hi everybody,

We (4 adults from Europe) are planning a trip with a rented rv in september / october 2007 through Western Canada. Start and end of our trip will be Vancouver. We plan to spend the last week of our trip (28 th of september to 4 th of october) on Vancouver Island, visiting Victoria and the Tofino area.

I was wondering whether you could recommend any campgrounds in these two areas. As we don't have a generator on board of our rv, we will need hook-ups at least from time to time in order to spare the battery. But we are surely willing to do without for one or two nights.

In Victoria we are looking for a campground in reasonable distance of the city (it would be even nicer, if we could get there by public transport). In the Tofino area we are just looking for a nice campground.

I was also wondering whether it will be necessary to make campground reservations at this time of the year. I heard campgrounds in these areas can get pretty busy sometimes.

And what about the ferrytrip to Vancouver Island? Considering we have an overheight and long vehicle and considering we will travel to the island on a friday is it advisable to make a reservation?

I would really appreciate your tips. Thanks!

parksville
Level Contributor
418 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

PArksville has some great campground on the beach, Seaside resort and Rathtrevor Provincial parks.

The provincial parks are usually the nicest to stay in. The provincial parks web site should have the ones that have hookups.

October is pretty rainy and fairly cool.

For overheights it is very advisable to reserve your place on board the ferry, you can do that few days ahead of time. If you don't you might have a one sailing wait, not a huge deal if you go out of horsehoe bay cause there is restaurants nearby you can go to.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

In Victoria Westbay Rv Marina www.westbay.bc.ca Great location,good views right in the city on the beach.You MUST make reservations.In Tofino my brother allways stays at Bella Pacifica and loves it.www.bellapacifica.com

The weather in Sept./Oct can be awesome or dreary.Most likely on the west coast of the Island it will be misty for sure.

I would make a reservation for the ferry on a Friday and this will assure you will board.

Hope this helps

Pitt Meadows...
Level Contributor
39 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Tofino is beautiful, Our family stays one week every June at the Bella Pacifica campground. There is full hook ups and sani at your site. The Terraces above the beach will accomodate a large RV or a Diesel bus. They are open to the end of October, also be sure to check out Super Camping British Columbia web site to make sure of our Provincial Park closures. The beach at the Bella Pacifica is stunning. As the other post states, make sure to have ferry reservations. Enjoy your holiday

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

In regards to one of the earlier posts about provincial campgrounds - none of BC provincial campgrounds have hookups (at least on the Island). In addition, if you are thinking of staying at a provincial campground, you will find that they have reduced services at that time of the year and less sites available (they close off parts of them). I think your best bet would be to stick with the privately owned campgrounds.

As for reservations on the ferry, it all depends on what time you plan on getting to the ferry depot. We have an RV and even in the heat of the summer we don't bother to reserve. If you get there early enough (an hour before your planned departure), you shouldn't have any trouble getting on - even on a Friday - given that you are travelling so late in the season. After Labour Day (first weekend in September) there are very few RVs on the road in this part of the world - relative to the summer time. However, if you really want to ensure you get on a particular ferry, you certainly can reserve for peace of mind. Check out www.bcferries.bc.ca for more information.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

http://www.musselbeachcampground.com/

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Thanks a lot to all of you. I'm really grateful for all the useful tips.

In addition to the already mentionend areas I would like to know whether you know any nice campgrounds near Nanaimo and Port Alberni. We will probably cross over to Nanaimo by ferry on friday afternoon and will need a campground in the area to stay for the night. We will travel on to the Tofino area the next day.

By the way, what about the whalewatching or hot springs tours. Can you arrange them on the day itself or do you have to reserve a few days upfront?

After a day or two in Tofino we will continue to Victoria. Is it advisable to spread this over two days and if so, are there any campgrounds you could recommend in between.

Some of you recommended West Bay Marine Park in Victoria. I read somewhere, that it is possible to get into town by boat from there. Is that true and are there any seasonal restrictions to that?

What about the Fort Victoria RV Park? I heard you can go into town from there by bus? Has anyone experience with this park?

Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

in port alberni you could try sproat lake provincal campgrounds, or as you come into town there is an rv campground in behind the timberlodge motel.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Yes you can, by passenger only harbour ferry. Here's their website for their hours and rates:

http://www.harbourferry.com/index.htm

I wouldn't go to the Fort Victoria RV Park. It's not very nice and backs on to the highway. Not that I've ever been there, but I drive by all the time. You could take the bus into town, but you can do that from pretty much anywhere:

www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/default.cfm

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Good advice from Breezed re: Fort Victoria RV

Rather than overnight in Nanaimo you could go to Parksville.Heres a couple of Rv Resorts right on the beach

www.surfside.bc.ca

www.parksands.com

Groningen...
Level Contributor
623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rv camping on Vancouver Island in october

Thanks a lot to everyone, who has answered my questions. I guess I will spend the next few days checking out the links you gave to me. If I'll have any further questions after that, I will come back to you.

In the meantime I still appreciate any hints about campgrounds or activities on Vancouver Island.

For example I would like to know about kayaking. Are there any guided day trips for beginners in the Tofino area? Can you recommend a company in particular?

I'm also interested in whalewatching and tours to the Hot Springs Cove.

Thanks again for all your reactions.