We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

Aussie in Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

I have 4 days on VI in the second week of April with my wife, baby and parents. I would be greatful for some advice regarding VI at this time of year. We arrive by air into Victoria. We are trying to descide if we willl stay in the Victoria area or go to the Tofino area.

Whales in April

I understand grey whales are seen at this time of year in the Tofino area, however the seas can be quite rough. Is the 5 hour trip to Tofino worth it to try and see grey whales? In April is there other sealife that can be seen at this time of year?

Are there any tours to see Killer Whales or other sea life in April from Victoria region?

The best things in April.

We are mainly interested in seeing nature, wildlife and photographic scenery. Some ideas we have so far include

If we stay in Victoria - the Butchart Gardens, Sooke, and Qualilum Beach.

If we go to Tofino - Stop in at Chemainus and Cowiehan Bay.

Any other suggestions for this time of year.

Thankyou

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

Where you go depends on what type of experience you want.

Victoria is a small city with a vibrant inner harbour area.

Lots of restaurants,shopping, tourist activities.Museum ,theatre etc.

You can take whale watching and marine excursions etc.

There are great places to walk,parks etc

Tofino is a complete different place very rural and majestic beauty.

Resorts are on beautiful beaches,very peacful and tranquil

Out of Victoria look at www.seaquestadventures.com

Hope this helps the process

Aussie in Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

Thankyou islandrockn

Thanks for the tip on Whale watching from Sidney. We are more into nature than cities so might make the effort and head to Tofino.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

Victoria is quaint, but architecturally not unlike many small Australian cities from that era (mid 1800's). Although the Royal BC Museum that exists there is the best in the province, the scenery around Victoria in no way compares to what's found in Tofino.

Here's a photo of Long Beach (one of the several beaches around Tofino):

longbeachlodgeresort.com/media/…aerialad.jpg

Since you're from Australia, the actual beach might not impress you as much, but the context of which they're situated might: lush, old growth temperate rainforests, islands, mountains, with bald eagles in the air, and an abundance of marine life in the tidal pools and ocean. It's a cold water beach (much colder than the beaches on the east side of Vancouver Island), but it's truly majestic. My parents don't surf or kayak or fish... and yet they'd gladly spend days there just soaking up the scenery. Most hotels in the area purposely don't have TV's or radios so you really feel like time's standing still.

If you go to Tofino, be sure venture on some of the boardwalk trails through the Pacific Rim National Park. It doesn't look like much from the road, but inside the forest it's something else!

And if you're really looking for something neat, take the boat trip to Hot Springs Cove - a natural hot springs on the ocean in the rainforest.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

Grey whales, as far as I'm aware, only come to Tofino during their migrations, whereas the orcas actually live year round around Victoria. However, at least with my experience in the Vancouver-based whale watching companies, the season doesn't start until May, mostly because of weather reasons. That doesnt' mean that Victoria companies don't offer whale watching, but you might be more limited with who you can go out with. By July and August, there are usually 2 more pods of whales around Victoria, tripling the chance you can see them.

The only time companies dont' spot whales is if the orcas head out to the open ocean for a few days. Then it's too far for anybody out of Victoria or Vancouver to reach them, so they try their best in their immediate vicinity. However, generally the orcas stay around Victoria and the nearby San Juan/Gulf Islands, so it's really a matter of time until they locate them every morning.

5. Re: 4 days on Vancouver Island 2nd week of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:19