We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

BRISTOL
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

Car + 2 adults travelling to Vancouver Island out of Twass.... to Swartz Bay, on 1st July, returning from Departure Bay to Horshoe Bay a few days later on 3rd July. Do you think we should make a reservation on the ferries or can we just turn up at any time and be able to get onto ferry ? I know how busy the ferries get in UK on a bank holiday. Your urgent response appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Linda

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,247 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

Make a reservation *NOW*!!!

They only allot a small percentage of the ferry to reservations. If you just show up on Canada Day, you will be waiting for many, many, many hours before you get on a ferry.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

I agree with BC Robyn.DO IT NOW!!!!!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

www.bcferries.bc.ca

BRISTOL
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

thanks very mcuh really appreciate your prompt reply

Linda

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

And make sure that you allow PLENTY of time to get to the Tsawassen ferry, including allowing for potential traffic jams.

AND, learn from my experience!!!, when it states that you HAVE to check in 40 minutes before the scheduled ferry departure time THEY MEAN IT. I have had a reservation cancelled for being a few minutes late (2 - 3 minutes specifically). The reservation is deleted from the system automatically.

We now grab a picnic and plan to get to the ferry @ Tsawwassen 1.5 hours before just to be sure.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

The specific on a reservation are that you can be there no more than an hour before your sailing time and no less than a half hour.If you are 29 minutes your reservation is cancelled

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

Thank you for the clarification islandrockin. We will be in the Tsawassen vicinity well beforehand and at the ferry at the appropriate time. After losing one reservation, and waiting and waiting and waiting, we are a little nervous.

The lower mainland traffic can be just horrid, also. And very unpredictable....

Our last jaunt involved a reservation to the Gulf Islands and we were at the ferry about 1 hour 20 min before the sail time. We had no problem with that arrival time but that is a different waiting area.

8. Re: should I make reservation on BC ferry on Canada Day ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 06:19