We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wet and foggy in Tofino in August?

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wet and foggy in Tofino in August?

Grateful for some advice on what weather to expect when staying for a week near Tofino in August. Weather charts seem to indicate foggy most mornings - and cloudy/sub 20 most days.

Good to hear from a local or an experienced visitor - with any additional advice on best things to do with children 8 and 12.

Tks

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wet and foggy in Tofino in August?

July and August are the best weatherwise for the Tofino area. If there is fog, it often burns off by lunch time. There can be differences in the weather between areas that are just 20 minutes apart. We were there about 4 summers ago, camping. It was cloudy/foggy where we were so we decided to drive to the Federal Park and go through their musuem. We drove down the road and it was beautiful and sunny there. When we returned it was still cloudy at our campsite. Still, we were there for about 3-4 days and were on the beach everyday. It was hot and sunny and we were swimming in the ocean.

For your children I would say the beach and going on hikes would be the most fun. That's what we did the whole time and we had loads of fun.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wet and foggy in Tofino in August?

You just have to remind yourselves that Tofino is located in one of the wettest parts of British Columbia - in a rainforest zone. August is the driest month of the year to visit, and relatively warmer... but Tofino is probably the most temperate of all areas in Canada. There's really not a whole lot of difference between seasons - it's never really hot in the summer and never really bone-chilling cold in the winter. Winter is more or less the wet season - the storm season - windier weather and more precipitation. August can have sunny days, or it can have rainy days.

My family vacationed there for a week in 94 along Mackenzie Beach - we had foggy mornings, cloudy days, as well as sunny days. I always seemed to enjoy the foggy days more, because it made the area so much more mystical and spiritual... it actually adds to the mood and atmopshere of the area.

My advice would be - use Murphy's Law to your advantage! Prepare for it to rain the entire time... chances are, it'll be sunny.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wet and foggy in Tofino in August?

oops - forgot to mention that we vacationed there in August of 94. The last time I visited was in December of 2003, where I experienced a freak wet snow storm, a few rainy days, and some glorious sunny days.

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wet and foggy in Tofino in August?

Thank you both very much for your helpful advice. Looking forward to it.