We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

While I was in Victoria I heard about whale watching tours. Since I did one in Boston I decided not to take one. However, I am going to Vancouver in August and am considering going to Vancouver Island. Is it better to see whales by kayak or inflatable boat? On a couple of websites I have seen amazing pictures where the whales get quite close to kayaks. However, another website said that people take boats to remote areas that have deep waters because the whales will be more active in the deeper areas. Also, some people have said that northern vancouver island is best and other people have said the pacific rim? Ideally, I would like to see bears, whales, and things like sea lions. I know that no company can guarantee that I will see these animals no matter what region I pick but what region and/or company do people suggest? Also, are the hot springs tours worth doing because I have seen some websites that offer tours to a hot spring in Tofino. Oh, white water rafting would be nice but it is not essential.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

People take whale watching tours because the tour companies tend to know where the whales are. Kayaking in the Strait or the open ocean is dangerous and should only be attempted by serious advanced kayakers. As for which part of the Island, depends on what kind of whales you want to see and what time of year it is. You won't see bears from a boat. The bear tours take you over to the mainland where you hike to a look out. (I think, never done it). Most whale watching companies out of Victoria will guarantee whale sightings and if you don't, you get a free trip to use in the future.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

<< I would like to see bears, whales, and things like sea lions. >>

Then take a guided kayak trip out of Port McNeil, Telegraph Cove or Port Hardy-the area between Vancouver Island and the mainland of BC is a wonderland of marine life and you'll see enough to last you a lifetime.

There are all kinds of companies doing this yet the area is never crowded and beginners are always welcome.

Prittlbach, Germany
Level Contributor
574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

<< I would like to see bears, whales, and things like sea lions. >>

I've had the whole package on a whale watching tour from quadra island (bear= black bear on the shore, whale= orca). If it's orcas you're looking for northern vancouver island is best. The whales can be quite spread out around the area, and they travel really fast, so I don't know how easy it would be to find them on a kayak tour. The other tour operators on boats radio each other when they spot them, so the chance of seeing them is quite good.

I havn't done the hot springs tour in Tofino, but there are several options to get there, day trips can be done by motorboat or airplane (or a combinaton of both), some kayak tour operators also offer a 5 day kayak trip with camping in the wild from Tofino to the hot springs.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

From Pacific Rim - Tofino - you will see grey whales depending on the time of year.

Northern Vancouver Island you will see Orcas as well as bears and sea lions, porpoises, and what ever else happens to be out and about . If you can swing both, then the Pacific Rim area as well as the inside passage (Campbell River, Heriot Bay Inn as mentioned, Port Mc Neill) you will see quite different scenery. There are tours out of Campbell River that do whale watching and rapids. They are pretty exciting. THere are a lot of rapids in the inside passage (meaning the waterway between Vancouver Island and the mainland)

www.telegraphcoveresort.com

www.vancouverislandabound.com

www.adventurewhalewatching.com

www.eagleeyeadventures.com

www.bearsofbute.com

www.aboriginaljourneys.com

www.grizzlytours.com

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

SamSalmon,

you mentioned taking a tour out of either Port McNeil, Telegraph Cove or Port Hardy. If you could only goto one of those locations which would it be and is there a company that you recommend using?

Breezed

I did not realize that different types of whales were available in different locations and during different parts of the year. I will be in Vancouver Island from August 18th through August 21st. Where would be the best place to see the whales during that time period?

IslandWest

I know that I will sound like an idiot for asking this question but is the northern part different from the inside passage that you mentioned? If the northern part is different from the inside passage and you only had time to goto one of those places which one would you pick? If they are different then I would like to goto both locations but since I may not have time to goto both I want to make sure that I goto the one that you think is better.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

Find a kayaking company that suits your schedule/budget and go-it's all good.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

Hi sabrina lane03,

Definitely not an idiot... how would you know without asking. I could probably ask some lame (to you) questions about Florida too, but having never been there, how would I know?

Follow this link (taken from hellobc.com) The inside passage is the whole waterway from the south end (bottom) of the Island to the north end (top) which separates the island from the mainland. Nothern Vancouver Island is everything north of Campbell River, Central is Campbell River to Nanaimo and South is from Nanaimo to Victoria - roughly.

hellobc.com/en-CA/…VancouverIsland.htm

I think I'd choose Telegraph Cove because it's kind of a fun old place, tidied up for tourists granted, but good whale and other things watching from there.

Not sure if this is the package kwenga had, but someone posted a while back that they had stayed at Heriot Bay Inn and loved the place and did a bear watch from there, which was unsucessful unfortuanately. Heriot Bay Inn has history plus, and the location is superb. It's on Quadra island - a 15 min ferry ride from Campbell River. http://www.heriotbayinn.com/

There are bears around in August, but September is more likely for seeing them as they are feeding in the rivers as the fish head up to spawn. It's a bears smorgasboard then.

8. Re: What Part of Vancouver Island Should I Goto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 13:18