We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

We are only going to have 1 day/night in the Nanaimo area this July and are trying to decide what to do with the day. Would it be better to ferry over to Newcastle or Gabriola for the day or to go north toward Qualicum Beach. We are a family with boys ages 8,10 and 14 who love to explore. Thanks for any help!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

Horne Lake Caves might be an option for you

www.hornelake.com

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

Go up to Parksville to Rathtrevor Beach and or Englishman River Falls Park just outside of town...in fact I would star with the Englishman then head over to Rathtrevor for the afternoon. The Englishman has great trails, waterfall, swiming hole, wonderful rocks, great trees and even a barbecue area. google BC Parks for website link.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

Thanks so much to both of you! I really appreciate the info. We are looking in the caves as well as an afternoon at Rathtrevor. Sounds like a great plan fot the day!

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

I would check out www.newcastleisland.ca It is a pretty amazing spot to camp so removed from everything, yet so close! Getting there is so much fun too- those little ferries from the harbourfront are so cool!

I would agree though that there is more variety if you stick to the big island if you are trying to please that range of ages.

5. Re: Newcastle, Gabriola or Qualicum Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Vancouver Island
Recent Conversations