We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when where and what

england
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
when where and what

my boyfriend and i are thinking of spending 2 weeks with a car on vancouver island, will there be enough to do and see and when might be the best time to go. we are very much into wildlife and nature

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: when where and what

In my opinion early August through mid September is a good time for wildlife viewing. There would be enough to keep me happy for two weeks but I suppose others might disagree. Two areas that come to mind immediately are Pacific Rim National Park on the Island's west coast and the north island near Port McNeill.

Is there any particular wildlife [ birds, whales, bears etc...] in which you are particularly interested?

Jerry

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when where and what

Ok, well, I can't get enough of Vancouver Island, two weeks would be a nice overview, but you will barely scratch the surface, IMO. Places I suggest you check out:

--go out to Bamfield from Port Alberni on the Lady Rose. Day trip, or stay a couple of nights and catch the next boat. Not much to do, but lots of terrific wildlife. We stayed at West Coast Magic B&B.

--spend a couple of days near Montague Harbour on Galiano Island. Do a sunset kayaking tour. We stayed at the Pagoda B&B. Strange couple ran the place, but it was alright. Fabulous location.

--check out all the provinical parks: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/index.html for hiking, natural beauty and wildlife viewing.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when where and what

Lots to do on Vancouver Island over 2 weeks. Tofino is a hot spot and you'd likely want several days there. You can surf, nature hike, fish, whale watch, take a trip to Hotsprings Cove see www.tofino-bc.com

Victoria has a fabulous museum with history of BC. The murals in Chemainus are well known, Cowichan Bay is an interesting spot. Parksville and Qualicum areas, Coombs, Cathedral Grove, Mount Washington, Campbell River, Telegraph Cove...... and of course, the little Islands - Saltspring, Galiano, Denman & Hornby, Quadra. There is kayaking, whale watch, bear watch and on and on. I'd suggest Telegraph Cove for bear & whale or else from Campbell River. September is very temperate and most of the tourists have left so kids can get back to school. For bears Sept is great because the fish are returning to the rivers so it's a bears smorgasboard!

How about a spa downtime at Kingfisher Spa www.kingfisherspa.com or snorkeling with salmon in the Campbell River www.snorkelwithsalmon take in a car race at www.saratogaspeedway.com (the monster trucks are great)

Look up www.hellobc.com and www.vancouverisland.travel

Oh ya, theres caving at Carmana and Horne Lake too.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when where and what

On second thought that's Upana Caves not Carmana - brain fluff.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: when where and what

Don't forget Snorkeling with Salmon!

IIRC there are at last two companies this one

http://www.campbellriversnorkeltours.com/

Telegraph Cove
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when where and what

Mid july to mid august is busy. Late august to early sept has great weather and is quieter.

The North Island is the place for wildlife and nature.

San Josef bay is spectacular. Bring or rent a tent and some gear and stay overnight.

The north island has campsites in the wilds that are free, camp by a lake in the mountains and you will likely be alone.

Consider renting something a little more rugged than a compact as most of the really nice spots ae not on paved roads.

Telegraph Cove is a great place to start many adventures. The whole of the north is more kayaking than hiking but there are some hiking trials. Kayak with the killer whales - there are not too many places to do that and at the rate we are going, hey may not be around too long.

england
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: when where and what

thanks for replying.... we were hoping that september might be a good time . we are hoping to see bears especially and whales but any wildlife is good.we have visited the island briefly before but only really got to see victoria . maybe you could suggest some places to stay,we dont want hotels really but a nice clean room, just somewhere to sleep but not hostels.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: when where and what

An interesting place to stay on northern Vancouver Island might be the cabins at the "Cluxewe Resort" a basic campground with cabins at the mouth of the Cluxewe River, just a few miles north of Port McNeill. Black Bears and Black-tailed [Mule] Deer are quite common in this area as are several smaller land mammals. The area, especially in September, is full of various water birds, and such interesting raptors as Bald Eagles and Peregrine Falcons. You are only a short drive from the departure point for MacKay's Whale Watching out of Port McNeill. They usually see Killer Whales, and often Humpback Whales, Dall's Porpoise, Pacific White-sided Dolphins and Steller Sea Lions, amongst others. All of this in a landscape of cobble beaches, rocky islands, and great views of the coastal temperate rainforest.

There are nearby chances for hiking and a chance to visit some very interesting First Nations sites.

This is one of our favourite areas of B.C.

Jerry

Vancouver
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: when where and what

Vancouver Island offers lots to do. September is my favourite month for travelling as you will avoid a lot of the fog that's around in August both on the west and east coasts, fewer crowds, lower prices, but also appreciably cooler temps north. I agree with Jerry and ?? re Port MacNeil area - make sure to do the ferry loop to Sointula Island and Alert Bay, try to do a kayaking tour in the Broughton Archipelago (a fun excursion is to the kayak-barge site run by two university students in the summer, may not be there in September) - and Barclay Sound (Bamfield is charming, love the Lady Rose "cruise" down the Port Alberni Inlet, love the kayaking...). Have a great time.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: when where and what

The suggestion of Cluxewe is excellent here are two other options in the general area.

http://www.paddlersinn.ca/

http://www.alertbaylodge.com/

If I have time later tonight I'll include my Famous List of Island links.