We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Island or Prince Rupert?

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Island or Prince Rupert?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I (in our 30s) will be visiting BC/Alberta in late May. After spending a week in the Rockies, we have another week to spend on the BC coastline. We are tossing up between Prince Rupert and Vancouver Island. We are most interested in seeing whales and bears and beautiful scenery.

If we went to Prince Rupert, we would do a 2 night stay with Palmerville Adventures in the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary. Is there anything comparable on Vancouver Island? We're looking for something remote but within reach of comforts, restaurants...so Vancouver Island may be a bit more suitable??

Budget can be stretched for really special things like this.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Island or Prince Rupert?

<<We're looking for something remote but within reach of comforts, restaurants...so Vancouver Island may be a bit more suitable??>>

No truly 'remote' place is within reach of restaurants-not unless you have a bush plane or helicopter standing by.

If it's Bears and ocean life you want Prince Rupert & environs is the place for you.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Island or Prince Rupert?

Vancouver Islands probably has a few more options before and after your bear tour.

If looking for a multi-day bear watching tour as compared to just one day try Great Bear Nature Tours www.greatbeartours.com .They fly or boat you to and from their Smith Sound lodge from Port Hardy on northern Vancouver Island. Before or after the tour with them you can go whale watching from nearby Port McNeill or Telegraph Cove. Click on my name and check my Port McNeill inside pages for detailed info on whale watching, kayaking and other day trip options on northern Vancouver Island.

3. Re: Vancouver Island or Prince Rupert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 05:23