We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nootka Sound Tour

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Nootka Sound Tour

We're heading over to Moutcha Bay about mid August, mostly to satisfy my flyfishing addiction (Kings,Coho and maybe Steelhead). I was looking into one of those overnite trips the MV Uchuck III offers from Gold River as a good way to tour Nootka Sound,(not for fishing) but my wife thinks too long a boat ride and not enuf time at any location,( Meaning hikes or wildlife viewing, etc.)

If anyone has been on one of the overnites (Kyuquot or Esperanza)w/ MV Uchuck and can give an idea of the trip and sights and what its like at these towns would be most helpful.

My other option could be to drive over to Tahsis and hire out a

captain for a day trip touring Nootka. I'm assuming Moutcha bay would not have that option.

This will be our 1st time to Vancouver Isl. and most info has been found on web sites. So any feed back or info on any of this would be appreciated, including dragging flies in Moutcha bay.

We figure Tofino to be a pretty busy place at this time and thought this to be a little more off the beaten path.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

<<We're heading over to Moutcha Bay about mid August, mostly to satisfy my flyfishing addiction (Kings,Coho and maybe Steelhead).>>

I know that Kayakers have tournaments @ Moutcha but fishing can be 'iffy' as the Conuma holds very little water.Too little and you're fishing over stale fish, too much rain and they're all gone.That's Coho, Springs Salmon are even more difficult on the fly and you can forget Steelhead the Conuma is about 6 feet wide in a lot of places the few summer runs there are mighty spooky.

<<but my wife thinks too long a boat ride and not enuf time at any location,( Meaning hikes or wildlife viewing, etc.) >>

She's right-for all intents and purposes it's a ride from A to B-through some lovely scenes but you'll be sitting all day.

If you don't have a boat in Moutcha you're really going to be stuck.

OK I see from the website they do offer 'rentals' and mention 'kayak' as well as 'wildlife tours'.

What to say?

In good old Canadian English Nootka is the azz end of nowhere-be sure to stop in Campbell River and buy *everything* you think you'll need all the main grocery stores have a presence there no problems on that front.

While hiring a boat for a day to drive you around sounds like fun check the price-operating costs are high/charters aren't cheap.

For fishing info contact http://www.jimsfishing.com/

The only hiking I can think of in the area is the Nootka Trial-a brute of a hike on a rough 'trail' through second growth.

If hiking is important you'll be driving through Strathcona Provincial Park-a gorgeous place with all kinds of options why not investigate staying there for a few nights?

env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/strath/

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

I read a short article about flyfishing in the bay not in the river . They used float tubes and kayaks and seemed to have plenty of fresh fish. I'm hoping there will be enuf fish in mid Aug. to make

this spot worth a look. I believe their Tournament is a week or 2 after my proposed visit. I was also told there is a summer run of steelhead on the Gold River.

Hopefully a wildlife tour of the bay would be cheaper than a chartered fishing trip. I'll have to look thru the list and enquire.

You don't seem that thrilled about this destination. If you were choosing a similar less touristy area , where would that be??

We have about 2 wks and will be coming across from Port Angeles with our car. We plan on doing some camping but not opposed to an Inn or B&B, Boat tour or 2 for whales and wildlife and hopefully a little ocean flyfishing.

Port McNeill
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

There should be pink salmon in the Cluxewe River estuary just north of Port McNeill at that time of year (though this is not a big return year).

You can camp there plus they have ocean side cabins www.cluxewe.com Then in nearby in Port McNeill and Telegraph Cove you have whale watching, bear viewing and kayaking tours available.

For a local fishing guide who can get you on to the ocean and on to other north island rives for more fish variety check out Leisure Suit Charters www.leisuresuitcharters.com

For other day trip ideas in the are check out tripadvisor.com/Travel-g499144-c112905/Port-…

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

I know the Gold of old-never did hold much for summer run fish and is overall a pale shadow of what it once was.

Easy to fish though (the lower river) and a lovely place, there's a spot where the one creek enters on the other side from the road that's popular with fly fishermen probably because of room for back cast.

As Kingfisher says this is a 'Pink Year' so there should be opportunity for Pinks along many of the beaches/river mouths on the Inside-Tyee Marine in Campbell River will have the info-great folks

http://www.tyeemarine.com.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

For additional hiking info the Good Folks @ Club Tread are an invaluable resource.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/default.asp

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

I'm still feeling drawn to this remote area (Moutcha, Tahsis, Zeballos) so I'm trying to work out some boat rides, tours and fishing that won't break the bank.

I assume Gold River is big enuf to get groceries, we should have all the other gear we need with us (short of kayaks).

For the inside passage area you're suggesting Port McNeill to base out of?? If we do choose this area should we expect the drive to be an all day affair if we leave from Gold River??? We'll be driving a Chevy Tahoe (no trailer).

I like the idea of basing out of 1 area to do day tours and hikes. So far all the web sites you guys have provided have given me an idea on costs and things to do. I love TA.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

Oh ya! Can I get a fishing license that satisfies all Vancouver Island (salt + fresh) or are there different ones for each area??

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

Licences both Salt (Salmon retention tag needed) and Fresh (you need a Steelhead tag as well) are available online (never tried it with a US ISP# though) if it doesn't work Tyee Marine will sell you what you need.

http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/

…dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/…index-eng.htm

9. Re: Nootka Sound Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 05:30