We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Luxembourg City...
3 posts
Save Topic
Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Hi,

We are making a 2-week trip and discovering Vancouver Island is part of it; however is it realistic to spend the days on VI like this: day 1 : Victoria -> Tofino; day 2: stay in Tofino; day3: Tofino -> Telegraph Cove; day4: stay in Telegraph Cove; day5: Telegraph Cove-> Vancouver. I found the distance between each location, but don't know how much time we will do about this? We are planning to do this 2nd part of September, any chance to see orka's at that time?

Thanks for your help!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Too much driving - not enough stopping. You should allow 2 nights in Tofino at least. Then the drive from Telegraph to get back to Vancouver is do-able, but a very long long day.

You don't say when you will arrive, but Telegraph Cove is the best place to see orcas.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,490 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Sorry Island West, it looks to me like they have 2 nights scheduled for Tofino (1 & 2) and they said they are coming in the second half of September.

Bebu - I don't have personal experience here as when we go to the island, we go to one of these places directly from Vancouver, so I don't know much about the drive between each one. However, from some personal experience and other posts here, you can anticipate to take about 6 hrs on the drive from Victoria to Tofino. If you do some sightseeing stops along the way at Coombs and Cathedral Grove, then it could be longer.

I'd guess another 5 or 6 hours to drive from Tofino to Telegraph Cove. I assume that you will be doing a tour out of Telegraph Cove.

Getting back to Vancouver would be another 6 hr (?) trip, including the ferry from Nanaimo. However given things in the big city usually run later into the night, you could afford to plan to get one of the later ferries across and arrive in Vancouver at 10:00 at night, making the most of your limited time in TC.

I would either add another night or take out the TC portion and make the most of your time on the south and central island. Even then, it will be very rushed.

Luxembourg City...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Yes, Indeed we are staying 2 nights in Tofino. So you're saying that doing all is too much; what would be the most worthwhile part to visit: the area around Victoria or the area around Telegraph Cove (we want to go to Tofino anyway). We will be there around sept. 20th.

Thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

<<what would be the most worthwhile part to visit: the area around Victoria or the area around Telegraph Cove..>>

If it's a lovely charming little city with lots of touristy attractions then Victoria.

If it's wilderness you want then Telegraph Cove.

Orcs can be seen from either place with many more sea and land animals in TC.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,573 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Second Sam..while you have two nights Tofino you really only have one day there imo not enough time. Skip Victoria and add the time to Tofino or TC.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Sorry - my response earlier was over coffee and breakfast before I raced off to work around 6:30 AM.

A day from Victoria to Tofino is fine, but do some exploring along the way. Coombs is a fun stop and Cathedral Grove is a must. One full day in Tofino is pushing it - two would be better.

You have about a 5 1/2 hr drive from Tofino to Telegraph Cove. This is a good place to see orcas, and a bear tour. Sept is a great time to see bears in the river mouths feeding on the returning salmon.

Telegraph to Nanaimo is about a 4 hr drive, then the ferry another 1 1/2 hrs, so not that long a day. Stop in Campbell River (1/2 way roughly) to grab a coffee and stretch your legs. If you can stretch this driving day out, then take Hwy 19A from Campbell River south to Parksville where it hooks up with Hwy 19 again, rather than Hwy 19 all the way.

Hwy 19 is the speed route and pretty boring, plus you'll have travelled this same route going from Tofino to Telegraph. Taking Hwy 19A is a bit longer - 1/2 hr or so depending on how many times you stop - and quite scenic. Well worth your extra time IMO.

Luxembourg City...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

Thanks for all this usefull information!

8. Re: Victoria - Tofino - Telegraph Cove - Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 07:16