We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
106 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

I need help with planning this trip and here are some questions;

Should we stay in one place and travel from that point or book different hotels along the way. What are highlights of the Island to see? How many days should we spend in Victoria? We can spend anywhere from 3 to 7 days on this island I am open to suggestions. We are meeting up with our Canadian friends from Alberta, the men love to golf the women like to take short hikes and enjoy the view.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

If golfing is a priority, here is some information from "Hellobc", the Government website that outlines the opportunities on Vancouver Island.

hellobc.com/en-CA/…VancouverIsland.htm

If you only have three days, you may want to stay in Victoria. The golfers can golf at local courses, while the non-golfers can sightsee in Victoria and surrounding area. Here is the tourism website for Victoria that will give you some ideas of what there is -

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

If you have longer and want to head up Island, you may be interested in Tofino -

http://www.tofino-bc.com/

People travel from around the world to Pacific Rim National Park, near Tofino -

pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/index.aspx

However to enjoy it properly, you would need at least 2 nights. Alas, there is gorgeous scenery over there, but only one golf course (I think).

Edited: 03 January 2010, 18:39
Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
106 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

Thank you for the information. My thought was to spend 2 to 3 nights in Tofino and 2 to 3 nights on the other side like Nanaimo, any thoughts for that area?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

Welcome to the Vancouver Island forum!

As I am sure you realize there are many different ways of seeing the Island. A lot depends on how much driving you'd like to do. If you want to pack up everyday and move on or if you want to settle in one spot and go back and forth.

The advice we most recommend is to base yourself in Nanaimo and make daytrips from here and then either head back to Vancouver or go to Victoria for a couple of days. But of course there are a multitude of variables and options as I am sure other TA DE's will advise.

Nanaimo is centrally located to all Vancouver Island. There are many great hikes in the area and 18 golf courses within 45 minutes of here.

Parksville is about 25 minutes drive and has several golf courses, a great beach at Rathtrevor and hiking.

The Comox Valley is about 1.5 hours away and has great hiking at Mt. Washington, some great beaches and excellent golf.

Tofino is a 3 hour drive, each way, and here you would need to decided whether you would like to stay for a day or two or make it a day trip. It's 50/50 on this one and really depends on your time. There is one golf course (with bears on it!!), a great beach for walking and lots of lovely 20 to 30 minute hikes to various parts of Pacific Rim National Park.

Victoria is a 1.5 hour drive and again you would need to decide if you'd like to stay or make it a day trip. Both are options. Lots of golf courses here, beach walks, Beacon Hill Park, Galloping Goose Trail and lots of 'touristy' things to do.

Nanaimo offers a beautiful Harbourside Walkway, 4 hour return hike up to the summit of Mt. Benson, 10 km walk around Newcastle Island Provincial Park, floating pub in the harbour, Pipers Lagoon park, Departure Bay Beach, 6 km walk around Westwood Lake and lots of golf courses in the area.

You could base yourself in Victoria and then make a trip up Island to Nanaimo and see the area around here and then take the ferry back to Vancouver.

Lots of options. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 03 January 2010, 19:01
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,286 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

For the east side of the Island, Nanaimo is good for a walk through visit. There are some nice things to do there. You might consider looking at Parksville and/or Qualicum Beach a bit further north. Victoria is a great place to spend 2 - 3 nights.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

If golfing is a primary interest I don't suggest going all of the way over to Tofino. Although Tofino and Pacific Rim is a beautiful area, it is best for hiking, wildlife viewing and the beaches.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

Take the whole 7 days if that's the limit... you'll need it. There are lots of great golf courses around the Island, but I'd recommend staying around Parksville or Qualicum - in my opinion both nicer smaller locations than Nanaimo. There is ample hiking oportunities around as well as golf courses. The men might like to try Storey Creek www.storeycreek.bc.ca in Campbell River or Crown Isle crownisle.com in Courtenay. Both are near Mt Washington where the gals can go for a hike.

Be sure to check out Cathedral Grove and Coombs both not far from Parksville.

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
106 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

Thank you for all the great information, this is why I love TripAdvisors. I think we will do half golf and have beaches and use all 7 days! I will look more north of Nanaimo. Is Campbell River, Gold River and Port Alberni worth seeing?

8. Re: need help in planning summer trip to Vancouver Island 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:20