We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding campsites in August - options??

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Finding campsites in August - options??

Need to know where to look for campsites - public or private -during the first part of August. Should we book them now or wait and see what's available when we arrive? Do they usually have a few sites that are 'non-reservable' i.e., first come first serve?? (I know in Ontario it's very difficult to get a campsite at that time.) We are going to cover from Victoria up to Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Tofino and Ucluelet. Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Hi Sandy! Yes I think you should have all your sites pre-booked. Summer is busy here on the Island, so it would be prudent. You should have no trouble finding campsites on line. If you do a google search of the towns campsites, you will find lots to choose from. Also the Provincial sites are really good and I believe you can book them online also.

I'll give you one suggestion, try the Provincial campsite at Sproat Lake, just outside Port Alberni on the way to Pacific Rim Park. It is a great campsite and you guys will love the lake.

Brent

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Ditto. Particularly for the Tofino/Long Beach area. Here are a couple of websites for private campgrounds in that area. There's also Pacific Rim National Park.

tofinotime.com/directory/tofinocamping.htm

http://www.mackenziebeach.com/

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Most provincial campgrounds do have some first come first serve sites available but if you're not there thursday night for the long weekend, you won't get a site.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

The problem with that in August the sites are usually booked and full. You can reserve a campsite up to 3 months in advance.

www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks ......this site will give you all the information on reservations for any specific campground in BC.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Only some of the provincial campgrounds accept reservations. And even for those campgounds only a certain percentage are available for reservation. This map is a good resource. It not only shows the location of the campgrounds but also shows which ones accept reservations (red triangles). env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/regions.html

However, as you can make reservations 3 months in advance you may find no reservable spaces available in early August. The discovercamping.ca website allows you to explore what campgrounds have availabilty. For example, you can lean that the Sproat Lake campground has 1 space available for Aug 6 - 8 (2 nights). But it also shows you that there are 19 sites available on a first come first serve basis.

And a reminder that the Pacific Rim (Tofino) is a national park. Information can be found here: pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit4c.aspx You will likely find it is too late to make reservations here.reservations.

Another thing I take in to consideration is what would happen if I can't get into a particular campground. For example, if you're in Tofino and can't find a place to camp you might have a long drive back towards Port Alberni to find something.

Another thing to consider are services. Your original post doesn't mention if you are tenting or rving. Provincial campground don't have services - septic, electrical, and water.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Definitely book ahead for Tofino, but you'll probably be able to find first come, first serve sites for the drive there. We like Little Qualicum Falls (between Nanaimo and Port Alberni) and have never had a problem getting a site without a reservation. Englishman River Falls is near there too and usually has sites available.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Hi Brent,

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm hoping to stay at Sproat Lake on your recommendation. I see they don't really have serviced sites. Do you know if they have water fill and dumping stations? We will be renting an RV.

Thank you.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Thanks all for the great feedback. I have checked out the private campgrounds in Tofino listed on that website. We should hopefully be able to reserve something in that area as the Pacific Rim NP is full up!! Thanks again!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

Hi Sandy, you will love the area in and around Alberni and Sproat Lake. There is a nice private campsite on the Somass River, close to these areas, called Arrowvale..great campsite! tel: 1-250-723-7948

Also you mentioned taking the Lady Rose down to Kildonan, and Bamfield, you won't be disappointed with that great little trip. Enjoy the island.

As for water and a sani dump, if memory serves I think there is one at the Sproat Lake campground, if not, there will be all those services available in Port Alberni.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 22:37
10. Re: Finding campsites in August - options??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 08:15